Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JonDor48 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2010, 02:29 PM
    Can you sue a bank in small claims court in California
    Our club had an account with Washington Mutual Bank, which was taken over by Chase Bank. We did not use our account for two years. During this time our treasurer did not receive a statement. The bank said they sent a letter, which they can't produce now, that told us they were closing our account and sending it to the State of California. Can we sue them for the amount we had in our account which was over $1800.00? We wrote a check for a dinner we had and it bounced because we did not know they had closed our account.

Jul 27, 2010, 02:39 PM
    Our club had an account with Washington Mutual Bank which was taken over by Chase Bank. We had not used our account for two years, during that time our treasurer did not receive any statements. He asked several times for a statement but they always brushed him off. They said they sent a letter telling us they were closing our account but we never received this letter. When ask for a copy of the letter they could not produce one. Our funds were sent to the State of California. Can we sue them for the balance in our account which was over $1800.00
    In small claims court?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 27, 2010, 03:23 PM

Yes, you can sue a bank in small claims court.

Will you win? Probably not. What they did is probably covered in the fine print of your depositer agreement.

If the finds were deposited with the state, your best bet is to find out how to collect them from the state.

A few questions:
    This dinner you wrote to the restaurant: was this a club function?

And what does your treasurer give as an explanation for his/her failure to get a bank statement? If they brushed him off he should have insisted on an answer. Appears to be a case of treasurer malfeasance.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 27, 2010, 03:46 PM

Have you asked the state about the return of the money ?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 27, 2010, 06:37 PM
    Search "escheat" at your state's web-site.

Jul 28, 2010, 05:07 PM
    Yes, the check was for a club function. As for the statement, he kept asking but never got an answer. He also never got the letter they supposedly sent. He is a very conscientious individual and a businessman. This particular bank has given him the run around. We currently have a form, given to us by the bank, submitted to the state. We are getting no information from them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am being sued in California small claims, can I sue for dr fees for stress [ 6 Answers ]

I work in California and I sued a client for nonpayment and I won the case. Now the client is suing me for $1900 for time spent going over my work and claiming that 80% of my work was wrong. I have over 20 years experience in my field. Can I counter sue for so much stress I had to see a dr. (not...

How to sue bank america in small claims court [ 1 Answers ]

THIS IS UNBELIVABLE... NEED DIRECTION: Aug 2009 Bank America takes $8750.00 from my company (XYZ) that I am one of 11 shareholders, I am an officer and one of two signers I find out only after hours, and I mean escalated to highest levels, hung up on, LOST IN VOICE MAIL HELL Here's what...

Can you sue for pain and suffering in small claims court, California, for a tooth [ 8 Answers ]

Can I sue for the dental bill PLUS pain and suffering. My tooth was broken out when I was eating olives by a large piece of metal that was in the can. I had to get a crown. Can I sue for the cost of the crown plus an additional amount for pain and suffering? I'm in California.

Can I sue for defamation in CA small claims court? [ 6 Answers ]

2 months ago I was fired for talking about hockey during the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs (I workd as a temp for 6 mos). The conversations didn't prevent me from doing work (it was slow & I finished all the work given to me), my ex-supe just got fed up and demanded that I never talk about hockey again...

View more questions Search