Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lisashearer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2009, 11:48 PM
    Served a summons for 5 yr old debt
    4 yrs ago, I lived in Florida and had 3 credit cards that I always paid faithfully. After the 2 hurricanes that hit one after the other, my rented condo was condemned and everything became very hard financially after that. I used my credit card for hotels and animal kennels and basically became broke. I moved to Colorado and tried to keep up w/ cards but could'nt. All 3 cards are citibank and when I called over the years to try and solve debt, they refused monthly payments and always asked for a big lump sum. I tried consumer credit counseling after reading suze ormans book and they wanted 600.00 dollars per month for 4 yrs. I could not afford these large payments. The total debt on these 3 cards was 7,000 when I left Florida and on the summons I got today, the total debt w/ attourney fees is 21,000. I did not sign for the summons, I just accepted it. My court date is June 12th, do I need a lawyer? Will I have wages garnished? Will I loose my car? I am scared and want to resolve my debt but citibank would not work w/ me after hurricanes and the debt became larger and larger. Please give me advice. Thanks!
    gyno Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

May 3, 2009, 03:34 PM

Is your car paid off?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 3, 2009, 04:34 PM

Its unlikely you will lose your car, but your salary could be garnished.

There are dozens of thread here ans in the Credit Forum to help you deal with this. I suggest browsing around and if you have any specific questions fee free to ask.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have been served with a civil summons for credit card debt [ 2 Answers ]

I have been served with a civil summons for credit card debt. What happens after being served, and what happens if you do not answer the summons? What happens if a judgement is put against me? Thank you for any and all advice.

Served with summons to appear in court for old credit card debt. [ 4 Answers ]

Today I got served with papers notifying me that "YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED that you are required to appear in person or by attorney..." in Flagler County, FL... "for a pretrial conference before a Judge at this Court." I gathered from this wording and the fact that it goes on to say "THE CASE WILL...

Served summons&complaint for credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I live in Michigan. I was served a summons and complaint twenty minutes ago for failure to pay for credit that I obtained about 5-6 years ago. Asset Acceptance purchased all 3 of the charge cards that I was unable to pay due to divorce and low paying jobs. I am now remarried, but I own...

View more questions Search