Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CyndyMS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2009, 08:35 PM
    My Neighbor made false allegations about my child.can I sue him or file a complaint
    My neighbor made false allegations about my 15 yr old son.. We were investigated by the police and questioned.. Can I in return file a false allegations charge, or a charge of harassment?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2009, 08:45 PM

What sort of false allegations were made about your son?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2009, 05:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CyndyMS View Post
    Can I in return file a false allegations charge, or a charge of harrassment??
    Hello Cyndy:

Yes, you can sue, but you'll have to prove they knew the charges were false.

excon
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2009, 05:59 AM

And be aware, if he is found to reasonably believe that the charge was true (like he saw someone and it looked like your kid but turned out it wasnt) he will be found innocent. False allegation charges are typically only upheld if they are found to be malicious, not simple mistakes.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2009, 07:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CyndyMS View Post
    My neighbor made false allegations about my 15 yr old son..We were investigated by the police and questioned..Can I in return file a false allegations charge, or a charge of harrassment??

Certainly you can sue if you can prove the charges were false and made simply to harass you and cause problems.

You would sue for monetary damages - what are your damages?

Here's something I wrote (so I'm quoting myself):

Briefly - Generally in law libel refers to permanent/written statements and slander refers to non-permanent/spoken statements. Defamation (of character) covers both categories.

You must be damaged - and prove damages - in order to recover. The statements (either written or spoken) must be false but presented as though they were true and be beyond offensive, derogatory or insulting. Such statement must rise to a level which actually harms a person’s reputation. In general the person making the statement must either know it isn’t true or make the statement without attempting to verify if it is true.

The defense to defamation is that the information was not presented as the truth (which covers gossip), that the information was never secret (privileged) and was always public.
    binoystha Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2011, 07:37 AM
    We are staying two family in a house since two years. We are not relatives. I heard by somebody the one of famiy says bad thing about us which effect bad impression about us to otheres. That family talks with us nicely and no any problem but they says to somebody who has good relation with us to made bad our charcter. Those things made us so worry. We have to be careful such a people because they says something with us but they says to somebody different. I am very very worry when I heard this thing. Its not good way to say bad to others.. please advise me how to change such a behaviour to those people who play double role to anybody. I want to give some punishment to them that makes them always thing good thing and positive.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2011, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by binoystha View Post
    please advise me how to change such a behaviour to those people who play doulbe role to anybody. i want to give some punishment to them that makes them always thing good thing and positive.
    Hello b:

Punishing them isn't going to make them think good things about you... Look, people don't always act the way we'd like them to act... I'd simply confront these people with what you heard and ask them to refrain. There's nothing more you can do. They will or they won't.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2011, 06:27 PM
    we are staying two family in a house since two years. we are not relatives. i heard by somebody the one of famiy says bad thing about us which effect bad impression about us to otheres. that family talks with us nicely and no any problem but they says to somebody who has good relation with us to made bad our charcter. those things made us so worry. we have to be careful such a people coz they says something with us but they says to somebody diffrent. i am very very worry when i heard this thing. its not good way to say bad to others.. please advise me how to change such a behaviour to those people who play doulbe role to anybody. i want to give some punishment to them that makes them always thing good thing and positive.

Attempts to exact revenge or get even, each people a lesson, force people to change, never work and will flash back straight at you.

If what is being said is not true, I wouldn't worry about it. People who know you won't believe it and as far as the rest - does it really matter?

Where is this happening?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 6, 2011, 11:33 PM
    ...i want to give some punishment to them that makes them always thing good thing and positive.
    May I suggest that the best solution would be to follow the Golden Rule in regards to this matter? Sometimes a carrot works better than a stick.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What would you do if adult neighbor made comments to your kids? [ 4 Answers ]

I have an on-going dispute with a next door neighbor who thinks my dogs bark too much. Suffice it to say, she's the only one who thinks so, and she is a control freak who told me she doesn't want me to kennel my dogs at night so that she can drive back and forth in her driveway and see if they...

False Adult Abuse Allegations [ 4 Answers ]

After the recent death of my grandfather, My husband and I volunteered our home and time to care for my grandmother who suffers from Alzheimer's. I love her being here and actually see a positive change in her memory, she is active with our 16mo old daughter and enjoys Bingo that I take her 2...

Baby taken by false allegations [ 2 Answers ]

My child wastaken from me seven years ago and my rights were taken by flase allegations by children and youth and they played games for months with me not returning my phone calls or letting me see my child well when they took my rights they signed with me a legal paper stating I could get pictures...

False Sexual Assault Allegations [ 5 Answers ]

My brother was falsely accused by his mother-in-law and brother-in-law of sexually assaulting my 3 year old niece. He was arrested before an investigation ever took place. His wife believes he did it. She was examined and found that she has never been sexual abused. She was coached by the...

Child Abuse Allegations [ 3 Answers ]

Long story made short: at this time, I lost custody based on unfounded allegations from my daughter who by the way, is developmentally delayed (low IQ, etc.). I have had custody for 9 yrs. And have a 15 yr old, but really that is not the point. My question is: I am a licensed RN, and am now...

View more questions Search