Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lotsoflove Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 04:31 PM
    Default Child Support Order
    My son is 1 years old and I still haven't received child support payments. Earlier this month, I was told that a default order was inputed. What I don't understand is how a police officer can miss two child support hearings and not get in trouble? Does anyone know how long a default order takes? When I talked to my child's father, he stated that he didn't get any documentations stating that he needed to go to court and that his lawyer his handling the case? Is it just me or does this sound fishy?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 28, 2008, 04:44 PM
    Has your attorney not filed a motion to hold him in contempt ? And why has a default order not be ordered long before, though a temp child support order before the original hearings ever started?

No this sounds about normal for someone trying not to pay that has a good attorney.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2008, 04:46 PM
    It is outrageous that you would have to wait an entire year before receiving child support. You should write a letter (please keep a copy) to your state representative and explain fully the circumstances; send a courtesy copy to the governor of your state. For you to get an opinion, you will need to disclose what state you are in, and what steps you have taken thus far to get child support started.
    lotsoflove Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 05:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lotsoflove
    My son is 1 years old and I still haven't received child support payments. Earlier this month, I was told that a default order was inputed. What I don't understand is how a police officer can miss two child support hearings and not get in trouble? Does anyone know how long a default order takes? When I talked to my child's father, he stated that he didn't get any documentations stating that he needed to go to court and that his lawyer his handling the case? Is it just me or does this sound fishy?
    I don't have an attorney,but he says he does. I am in Georgia. I filed for Child Support in November and didn't get to attend court until march. He didn't show up but when I talked to the people at the court they told me the case was settled and actually told me an exact amount I would be getting for my son every month. A month later, I called and they stated that they had on file that we both showed up for court and that they couldn't verify my income which was bull because all of this was sent in November and if so why would they give me an amount in court? He just had another court date this month and didn't show.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 28, 2008, 06:23 PM
    You are learning you can't afford not to have an attorney, that is the issue right there, his attorney just knows how to keep filing things you don't know how to respond to properly.

Talk to legal aid if you can't afford one, but many esp in GA will accept payments.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2008, 06:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lotsoflove
    I filed for Child Support in November and didn't get to attend court until march. He didn't show up but when I talked to the people at the court they told me the case was settled and actually told me an exact amount i would be getting for my son every month. A month later, I called and they stated that they had on file that we both showed up for court and that they couldn't verify my income which was bull because all of this was sent in november and if so why would they give me an amount in court? He just had another court date this month and didn't show.
    Please, write this in the form of a letter to your state representative (this is an election year in Georgia) and your state senator; if you aren't registered to vote, go do so. Send a courtesy copy to the governor and the local newspaper; you don't have to use your real name in the paper. This is a disgrace, based upon what you are telling us.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 28, 2008, 08:06 PM
    You really do need a lawyer at this point. There is no such thing as a default order. Someone lied to you. That's why you need one. When they told you of the monies you would be getting that was their guess at the time. You don't need guesses you need results.
    Get a lawyer. A lot will take your case and charge the losing party ( your ex ) with paying them for court time but you are still responsible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Contempt order about child support [ 4 Answers ]

I'm trying to get as much advise as possible because I don't know what to do. I had a contemp order against my ex-husband, because he wasn't paying his court ordered child support. The ruling on this was that we would drop the contempt order if he would pay every month, on time and in the full...

He wants to drop the child support order [ 21 Answers ]

:confused: Hi everyone, I'm new here and I have a question. My child's father took me to court after I got married and moved out of state. My child at the time was 4 and before he gave me some money ( very little) for my child over her 4 years. After this move he took me to court to legalize her...

No child support order in 14 years [ 14 Answers ]

I have been trying to get child support since my daughter was born 14 years ago, I have gone to court called the child support enforcment and they keep telling me it takes time, well her father was in the navy for 9 or 10 years and still they could not find him, they have his social security...

Trying to get child support order [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, I have been trying to get an order for child support since December 2006. I live in a different state then the father. Although I am receiving Public assistance and they say they are working on it, nothing at all has happened. I know the location of the father , but for some reason it is...

Changing Child Support Order [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for anyone who knows how to go about getting an Order of Support changed / modified. I am in the state of Arizona and have been divorced for 7 years. I have sole custody and he has NEVER reported any increase in pay. I would like to know how to find out what he is making (because he...

View more questions Search