Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anderskr22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2008, 08:20 PM
    As a Landlord, reporting tenant breaking lease to credit bureau
    Hi,
    I'm new to this site and was hoping to gain some insight and knowledge.
    My husband and I are just beginning our journey of obtaining rental properties. We currently have 5 units and recently had signed a 12-month lease with a potential tenant.
    She was just about to move in and pay her lease deposit and she stopped returning phone calls and avoided us like the plague.

Aside from taking her to small claims court, can we report her to the credit bureau for breaking the lease, so that it impacts her already "less than perfect" credit score?

What is our recourse, even if we aren't a member of the credit bureau?

Thanks for your help!!
    Kori
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2008, 05:13 AM
    Hello Kori:

You sue her, and the credit bureaus will put the judgment on her credit report.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2008, 05:56 AM
    [QUOTE=anderskr22]Hi,
    I'm new to this site and was hoping to gain some insight and knowledge.
    My husband and I are just beginning our journey of obtaining rental properties. We currently have 5 units and recently had signed a 12-month lease with a potential tenant.
    She was just about to move in and pay her lease deposit and she stopped returning phone calls and avoided us like the plague.

Aside from taking her to small claims court, can we report her to the credit bureau for breaking the lease, so that it impacts her already "less than perfect" credit score?

What is our recourse, even if we aren't a member of the credit bureau?

No, you cannot. The credit bureau doesn't record disputes which is what this situation is until you get a Judgment against her.

Decide how much money you've lost and then take her to Small Claims Court.

And welcome to the wonderful world of being a landlord!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a year lease by tenant and not returning security deposit by landlord [ 23 Answers ]

I live in Florida and I had to breake my 1 year lease after 8 months and gave a 1 month notice to my landlord. I found another tenant to rent the property after my moving out and the landlord promised me to return the security deposit. After I found myself the new tenant for the landlord and...

Landlord breaking lease [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Ohio. I was wanting to know if a landlord can kick a renter out so there realtives can move in? I have read that they can't do that in states that have renters law. Ohio dose not.

Tenant Breaking Lease, Can I keep Security? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a tenant who has signed a year lease but is now breaking after 7 months because she is moving out of state. Can I legally keep her security deposit?

Landlord breaking of Lease [ 3 Answers ]

We rented our house to our niece, with the understanding that she would not have to pay us a damage deposite, nor would she have to pay first and last month rent, with the understanding that she would take the house "as is". Ever since then it has cost us more to get things fixed than we can...

View more questions Search