Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spiritwoman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2007, 12:51 PM
    Can a credit card co. put a judgement on your home, and also demand payment?
    In Dec. of 2004, MBNA put a lien on my home. I got into debt because my husband died in 1999 and it took over 8 years to win my widows benefits of DIC. Two years ago, I started drawing benefits from Social Security. I know that they cannot garnish my S.S. NOR my DIC claim, but I would also like to point out they cannot take me to court if they have already put a lien on my home..

Thank you,

Joyce
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 17, 2007, 03:24 PM
    Of course they can demand payment, if you have not paid them yet, the judgement will only get them paid if and when you sell the property or you die. But since their is a lien, they can still try to collect from the judgement and if they get it paid in full, then they would release the lien.
    wandalee3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2007, 04:06 PM
    What is a judgement/transcriptcivil case
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2007, 06:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritwoman
    In Dec. of 2004, MBNA put a lien on my home. I got into debt because my husband died in 1999 and it took over 8 years to win my widows benefits of DIC. two years ago, I started drawing benefits from Social Security. I know that they cannot garnish my S.S., NOR my DIC claim, but I would also like to point out they cannot take me to court if they have already put a lien on my home..

Thank you,

Joyce

They can take any legal means at their disposal in order to collect their debt - all the lien does is guarantee them payment "off the top" if you sell your home. They may want their money sooner than that. This is not unusual in NYS.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card judgement [ 4 Answers ]

I recently received a notice of a hearing scheduled to place judgement on me for a credit card debt of one thousand dollars. My husband lost his job 2 years ago and I was trying to support my whole family on a small income so my credit card payments got put aside in order to put food on the table...

Credit Card Judgement [ 5 Answers ]

Hello. In 2004 I received a credit card from Chase Manhatten. Due to bad health and other problems, I lost my job and ended up being awarded $643 in Social Security disability benefits. By then I was so far behind in bills that I didn't know what to do. Yesterday, a deputy came to my door...

Credit card debt payment [ 3 Answers ]

My old providan visa has been sold to a collection agency. I have been working with the collector and am willing to pay $100.00 a month towards my debt of 1,400 - however, the agency wants me to mail them 3 post dated checks by Monday and then states that I will need to settle in August for the...

Credit card judgement [ 1 Answers ]

I Am Wondering How Far Behind On Your Payments With Major Credit Company You Have To Be Before It Gets Turn Over For Collection And Then To A Court For Judgement? Al

Credit card payment [ 1 Answers ]

Can I make below the minimum payments on time on a credit card and still not have it go to a collection agency?

View more questions Search