Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ms_Starbuck82 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 05:05 PM
    Received Response from Lawyer- way past time limit for 2nd chance validation.
    Okay-

Received a response from the law office of Wolpoff and Abramson (law office) today. Here's the rundown:

I received the "letter" from the office telling me that Discover had contacted them for a debt they say I owe. I have thirty to respond or dispute.

Within the 30 I sent out the validated letter via certified mail. I waited about 45 days, no response.

I then sent the second letter to adv they were now in violation of the FDCPA (section 809(b). 45 days pass or so and I post my question yesterday on where to go from here...

Well, as fate has it... I received all of my credit card statements for the time that I had the CC today along with a print out stating

"debtor name"
    "client"
    "W&A FILE"
    "client account"
    "date"

"This is an attempt by a debt collector to collect a debt and any information obtained will be used for that purpose."

So over and over I've read that they have to send the original signed document to validate. Here's the thing. When I first got this card it was under my maiden name. While "honeymooning" I tried using my card but it was reported as lost or stolen by Discover. Then sent out a new credit card with my new name. I never signed anything with my married name. I'm pretty confident they won't find anything with a signed agreement.

Where do I go from here. I'm gathering that I write the LLC stating that the credit card statements do not validate this debt and will not be supported in the court of law. Also, that they need to show me proof of contract that they own this debt to collect. Is this correct and am I missing anything?

Thanks for reading and I appreciate the time you've spent posting...

Thanks again,
    Ms_Starbuck82
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2007, 03:03 PM
    [QUOTE=Ms_Starbuck82]Okay-

Received a response from the law office of Wolpoff and Abramson (law office) today. Here's the rundown:

I received the "letter" from the office telling me that Discover had contacted them for a debt they say I owe. I have thirty to respond or dispute.

Within the 30 I sent out the validated letter via certified mail. I waited about 45 days, no response.

I then sent the second letter to adv they were now in violation of the FDCPA (section 809(b). 45 days pass or so and I post my question yesterday on where to go from here...

Well, as fate has it... I received all of my credit card statements for the time that I had the CC today along with a print out stating

"debtor name"
    "client"
    "W&A FILE"
    "client account"
    "date"

"This is an attempt by a debt collector to collect a debt and any information obtained will be used for that purpose."

So over and over I've read that they have to send the original signed document to validate. Here's the thing. When I first got this card it was under my maiden name. While "honeymooning" I tried using my card but it was reported as lost or stolen by Discover. Then sent out a new credit card with my new name. I never signed anything with my married name. I'm pretty confident they won't find anything with a signed agreement.

Where do I go from here. I'm gathering that I write the LLC stating that the credit card statements do not validate this debt and will not be supported in the court of law. Also, that they need to show me proof of contract that they own this debt to collect. Is this correct and am I missing anything?

Thanks for reading and I appreciate the time you've spent posting...

=

No, I don't think you are correct - you had an agreement in your previous name; you couldn't use the card; a card on that same account was issued in your married name (which, presumably you gave them); you used the card in the married name. You didn't make the payments. It's still your debt because you used the card and the original agreement carried over, through the name change. Whether you use your original name or not, that is still who you are.
    Ms_Starbuck82 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2007, 06:49 PM
    I'm not questioniong the validation of the debt and whether's mine or not...

My question was whether itemized credit card statements were considered validation.

They are...

I simply was stating that if validation was determined with only a signed agreement that more in likely that would not be found...

Thanks for your time anyhow.

Warm Regards

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under $5000. 2nd time. But 1st time since 18th [ 4 Answers ]

Hey all, So basically the story goes like this: In April of 2006, I was arrested for theft under $5000 for car prowling in a neighborhood and some alleyways. I was 17 at the time. We got caught with $1500 worth of golf clubs in the back of my dads car. Needless to say, my dad was pissed....

Computer Time Limit [ 6 Answers ]

What is a healthy amount of time to be 'online' before it is considered an addiction?

2nd Chance DNA Testing. [ 1 Answers ]

I signed the birth certificate of my daughter when she was born without verifying paternity. Now, 2 years later, her mother had made numerous statements that lead me to believe that I was not the only possible candidate for paternity. We have never been a family and I have paid child support and...

Being sued by lawyer, validation of debt and answer alreay sent. [ 10 Answers ]

Hi to all, I am in NJ. I am new to this forum but have been reading different forums for about 2 years. So, I have this Providian credit card that has a balance of $2468.00 on it but the lawyer is sueing me for $3468.00. The credit card was charged off in 2002. It appears that it was sold to a...

2nd chance? [ 7 Answers ]

My boyfriend of 2 years recently dumped me. The thing is, he kept changing his reason. It makes me think he's confused. He left me once before, and I did the whole beg and plead thing which did not work, and after breaking off all contact and ignoring him, he came back because he loved me and need...

View more questions Search