Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ptguy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 12:18 AM
    I received a summons while I was away on vacation. It says I had 20 days to respond to it. It was already ten days past when I got the summons. My wife took it for me while she was home. It is for a credit card debt that says I owe so much money on. I haven't received any other letters from this company asking for their money. Only a summons. How would I respond to this summons? Please help. This is the first time anything has happened to me before.

If a credit card company didn't send me a statement for nine months and all of a sudden sent me a summons, do I have a chance to fight this? I checked on my credit report and Chase charged off the credit back in nov. of 2006. I answered their summons, now they want me to either settle or go to court. The credit card company sent me all the statements for the past two years. The last one I received was November 2006. They never called, wrote, or anything to let me know they are writing it off as a bad debt. I don't want to go to court, and their settlements sound ridiculous. Should I get legal help? I don't really have the money for this. Should I offer them a low ball figure. Right now they want 65% of 10,000 in 3 months, or the full amount paid off with 11% interest for 5 years. Please help. What's my next move?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 04:09 AM
    File Notice of Intent to Defend, if you don't they will obtain default judgment against your. By filing the notice this will cause a hearing to be set and you will have to defend against their claim.

File a discovery with the plaintiff to get the document you need to see that you are defending against.

Request the original contract, complete accounting of the alleged account, etc.

If you do nothing they win.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card summons [ 2 Answers ]

I have sreviced a summons for a credit card debt and I would like to respond with a motion to discoer.. how do I do that and would it prolong the case?

Credit card summons [ 1 Answers ]

If there is a judgement against me in California and all I get is social security 697.00 direct deposit can the lawyers take it and also I have a97 chevy cavalier in my name and my 41 yr old daughter has a 2002 chevy tahoe thatis under her name and mine can they take her s and mine idont have any...

Credit Card Summons [ 1 Answers ]

I posted this before and for some reason it was lost. I'll try again. First off, I have read in past postings it helps if I let you know what state and county I am in for a more accurate answer. I live in Jacksonville FL, Duval County. I received a summons (delivered via Jax Sheriff Office)...

Credit card summons [ 1 Answers ]

How can I challenge a credit card summons? I received a summons today for a credit card debt ($2,647) that I owe. The amount reported is mostly over the credit limit fee, late charges and accrued interest. I cannot afford to repay the debt at this time and definitely cannot afford wage garnishment...

Summons for Credit Card Debt [ 6 Answers ]

I received a summons to appear in pre-trail court due to $5,000 of credit card debt. I own this debt. I have a large sum of credit card debt and am considering bankruptcy. How can I avoid a trail and possible judgment? I thought about offering the company $1,000 to settle debt.

View more questions Search