Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dbaldwin59 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2012, 11:54 AM
    Collecting on a judgment
    How do I garnish someone's wages if they owe me money?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2012, 12:01 PM
    Hello d:

Sue 'em.. Win and get a judgment... Then get a writ of execution, and take the writ and the judgment to where he banks, and you'll get your money. This assumes he HAS money in his account.. If there's nothing there, you get nothing.

excon

Jul 12, 2012, 12:08 PM
    What if he lives in another state?
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2012, 12:31 PM
    Hello again, d:

Then it's more difficult. You sue him where he lives, OR in the jurisdiction where the offense took place.. In other words, if he screwed you in the town you're in, you sue him in that jurisdiction. Then you serve the writ and the judgment on the bank where he lives...

If the offense took place in HIS town, or on the internet, then it's harder still.

excon

Jul 12, 2012, 01:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello d:

Sue 'em.. Win and get a judgment... Then get a writ of execution, and take the writ and the judgment to where he banks, and you'll get your money. This assumes he HAS money in his account.. If there's nothing there, you get nothing.

excon
    So what do I do next?

Jul 12, 2012, 01:39 PM
    Hello again, d:

Then it's more difficult. You sue him where he lives, OR in the jurisdiction where the offense took place.. In other words, if he screwed you in the town you're in, you sue him in that jurisdiction. Then you serve the writ and the judgment on the bank where he lives...

If the offense took place in HIS town, or on the internet, then it's harder still.

excon
    So what do I do now? I moved to Florida and he is in CA. I am screwed?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 12, 2012, 01:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dbaldwin59 View Post
    So what do I do now? I moved to Florida and he is in CA. I am screwed?
    How much money are we talking about?

What is it he owes you for? You loan him money? He breached a contract? Auto accident? What?

Jul 12, 2012, 02:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    How much money are we talking about?

What is it he owes you for? You loan him money? He breached a contract? Auto accident? What?
    He owes my $1,750.00 money that I loaned him to secure an apartment. I have in writing how much I loaned him and he signed it.
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2012, 02:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dbaldwin59 View Post
    He owes my $1,750.00
    Hello d:

Kiss it goodbye..

excon

Jul 12, 2012, 02:28 PM
    Hello d:

Kiss it goodbye..

excon
    Oh CRAP!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 12, 2012, 02:40 PM
    Have you filed a suit? If not that is your first step. If you have documentation that you loaned him money, then you will win the suit. Once you do you have to find out where is assets are or where he banks. You then ask the court for a writ of execution against the asset or writ of garnishment against his salary.

Jul 12, 2012, 02:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Have you filed a suit? If not that is your first step. If you have documentation that you loaned him money, then you will win the suit. Once you do you have to find out where is assets are or where he banks. You then ask the court for a writ of execution against the asset or writ of garnishment against his salary.
    Ok I will check it out Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collecting a judgment on someone you can [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I have a judgment from LA Superior Court for monetary damages. However, I can't collect because I don't know where they are. What options do I have? Is there a service to use to locate them? I don't have their Social Security numbers. Thank you.

Collecting on judgment [ 2 Answers ]

The debitor did not respond to 2 letters from the attorney general of North Carolina. He did not show up for small claims court, so he ruled to pay. He did not pay so we did and writ of execution twice, but still no response. What can be done?

Collecting on a judgment [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a landlord who won a small claims case against a former tenant of mine but when the court submitted a garnishment letter to her employer they informed the court that she no longer is employed there. When I asked the court for the next step that I needed to take they told me before they can...

Collecting a judgment [ 1 Answers ]

What if it is already a judgment, but the person has skipped out on paying it. How do I go about ensuring that I'm not wasting more money by serving the wrong company he worked for, if he no longer works there.

Collecting a judgment [ 10 Answers ]

Hello I need some help, I was awarded a judgment in court some months back and now I am wanting to try and collect on it, the problem is how or where do I began to find personel information out on the person, things like there ss# is there a company out there that I can contact that may be able...

View more questions Search