Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bliig720 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2008, 09:39 AM
    What happens when a small claims case should really be more?
    I have submitted all the paperwork for a small claims case and in the past couple of days I have been doing my homework and am finding now that I might have a case larger than what small claims handles.

Is it possible to switch venues and get a lawyer? The statue of limitations runs out today on my civil suit. Would a lawyer even touch this? I have read all I can about the Statute of Limitations and it sounds like it is basically a rule that is in place so that things don't drag on forever and get old. I feel like the company I am dealing with did drag this out until now and now that they are under the wire to settle they are hoping I am dumb enough to not know the rules.

I am hoping to receive an honorary law degree after all this (or maybe even go back to school and pursue law.) There are lots of crooked people out there and justice needs to prevail...

Thanks for your help!
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2008, 10:03 AM
    In order to move this up to civil court, you will have to hire an attorney first.

He or she can advise you as to how to withdraw the small claims suit and re-file it as a civil court case.

Jun 13, 2008, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by progunr
    In order to move this up to civil court, you will have to hire an attorney first.

He or she can advise you as to how to withdraw the small claims suit and re-file it as a civil court case.
    Thank you. I think I did read this someplace. I will have to do some more investigating before making this move... I appreciate your help!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2008, 10:48 AM
    [QUOTE=bliig720]I have submitted all the paperwork for a small claims case and in the past couple of days I have been doing my homework and am finding now that I might have a case larger than what small claims handles.

Is it possible to switch venues and get a lawyer? The statue of limitations runs out today on my civil suit. Would a lawyer even touch this? I have read all I can about the Statute of Limitations and it sounds like it is basically a rule that is in place so that things don't drag on forever and get old. I feel like the company I am dealing with did drag this out until now and now that they are under the wire to settle they are hoping I am dumb enough to not know the rules.

I am hoping to receive an honorary law degree after all this (or maybe even go back to school and pursue law.) There are lots of crooked people out there and justice needs to prevail...

If the statute runs out today, no, I don't think an Attorney has the time to research, perhaps extend the time and pursue the matter.

Also many Attorneys will not handle a case which has been started by a "lay person" - you may have made statements or admissions which could possibly hurt you and which he/she will have to attempt to mitigate.

Let me know how the honorary degree works out for you - I don't know how it is right now in other States but at one time in NYS you did not have to go to Law School to practice law. You had to pass the Bar Exam and Ethics Committee and then you were good to go.

More than a few people did just that.

Jun 13, 2008, 10:57 AM
    [QUOTE=JudyKayTee]
    Quote Originally Posted by bliig720
    I have submitted all the paperwork for a small claims case and in the past couple of days I have been doing my homework and am finding now that I might have a case larger than what small claims handles.

If the statute runs out today, no, I don't think an Attorney has the time to research, perhaps extend the time and pursue the matter.

Also many Attorneys will not handle a case which has been started by a "lay person" - you may have made statements or admissions which could possibly hurt you and which he/she will have to attempt to mitigate.

Let me know how the honorary degree works out for you - I don't know how it is right now in other States but at one time in NYS you did not have to go to Law School to practice law. You had to pass the Bar Exam and Ethics Committee and then you were good to go.

More than a few people did just that.
    Thank you again for your reply. I was kidding about the honorary degree... I have just never researched more about laws in the past week. I will have to continue my homework to see what I can do. I think handling it myself will end up to be just fine if that is what I have to do. I have pretty much had my "ducks in a row" (so to speak) since the beginning - the company I am in suit with is just not easy to deal with. Again, thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing small claims case againt ex boyfriend who borrowed money? [ 6 Answers ]

How can I file a claims case against my ex boyfriend who used me for money? I loaned him $4000 and wrote up a contract outlining all terms and conditions and he and I signed it. He told me he would pay back but it has been over a year and I have not seen 1 payment. When I get angry and say I'll...

I just lost a case through Small Claims [ 4 Answers ]

I owe a Medical charge (California)from 12 years ago, and wasn't informed of it. I now live in another State( North Carolina) and am being threatened by the Lender to pay in full or they will record a judgement aggainst me. I want to know if they can do this, and if so, would I get my wages...

Served with civil and small claims summons but the case does not exsist? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, About a month ago a civil court summons was left in my doorway for a credit card debt that never belonged to me. Then about two weeks ago the same law firm sent another small claims summons for the same debt. I have been checking the court listed on the summons website list of civil and...

Winning or losing small claims case? [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, and thanks all for reading and for your help in advance! I rented 1 bedroom in Queens, NY for 560 on Oct. 1 It's part of a 3 bedroom 2nd floor place. My roommate S who'd lived there for several years was in charge of utilities. I would have to give her my 560 every month and she would...

Small claims [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to sue someone in small claims court... he is a German man... he has lived in America for many years... speaks English well... his wife is telling me I must pay for an interrupter as English isn't his native language... he has got a drivers license in the us.. as well as has got a...

View more questions Search