Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    siryinyang Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2012, 03:39 PM
    Collecting a judgment on someone you can
    Hi, I have a judgment from LA Superior Court for monetary damages. However, I can't collect because I don't know where they are.

What options do I have? Is there a service to use to locate them? I don't have their Social Security numbers.

Thank you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 30, 2012, 03:41 PM
    there are services that will help collect on judgments, but they generally take a large chunk of what they collect. But something is better than nothing.

Or you can hire a PI to find their assets.

This is the Catch-22 of getting a judgement. Getting the judgement is usually easy. Collecting is another matter.

Jun 30, 2012, 03:47 PM
    This definitely does help, thanks Scott.

You don't know anyone in Los Angeles that's a PI do you?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 30, 2012, 03:49 PM
    We have a member here who is a PI and may be able to suggest something.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2012, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by siryinyang View Post
    This definitely does help, thanks Scott.

You don't know anyone in Los Angeles that's a PI do you?
    Look at "Licensed Private Investigators" in your phone book. Call and explain your circumstance/problem. Ask for an hourly rate and a MAXIMUM rate. Anyone responsible will not guarantee a result and will work off a retainer.

The LPI will locate the person using private sources.

Some LPI's will not work for individuals, will only work for Attorneys. It is important to know why the person wants/needs the info - and an Attorney is a good "guarantee."

My concern is that you are considering suing your Attorney.

Jun 30, 2012, 05:42 PM
    Thank you JudyKayTee and Scott. For this particular matter JKT, it is for some rather old judgments, about 8 years old, that I need to collect on.

My attorney is a relatively new matter, about 3 years old.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 30, 2012, 05:44 PM
    But please understand, most judgements are never collected. The people file bankrutpcy, don't have anything to garnish.

Now some people do, but I is hard.

Jun 30, 2012, 05:46 PM
    Hi Fr_Chuck. I'm afraid that I will probably fall into that category. Hopefully, I'll get lucky and find out where they bank?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2012, 05:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by siryinyang View Post
    Hi Fr_Chuck. I'm afraid that I will probably fall into that category. Hopefully, I'll get lucky and find out where they bank?

Depends on the PI and his/her sources.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collecting on judgment [ 2 Answers ]

The debitor did not respond to 2 letters from the attorney general of North Carolina. He did not show up for small claims court, so he ruled to pay. He did not pay so we did and writ of execution twice, but still no response. What can be done?

Collecting on a judgment [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a landlord who won a small claims case against a former tenant of mine but when the court submitted a garnishment letter to her employer they informed the court that she no longer is employed there. When I asked the court for the next step that I needed to take they told me before they can...

Collecting a judgment [ 1 Answers ]

What if it is already a judgment, but the person has skipped out on paying it. How do I go about ensuring that I'm not wasting more money by serving the wrong company he worked for, if he no longer works there.

Collecting judgment [ 1 Answers ]

I won judgment against a company for my security deposit. This company has tried 3 times to reopen the case and denied so they changed their name and member to avoid payment. The new member is the person who attended the Court hearings. The old phone number is the rentals department number for the...

Collecting a judgment [ 10 Answers ]

Hello I need some help, I was awarded a judgment in court some months back and now I am wanting to try and collect on it, the problem is how or where do I began to find personel information out on the person, things like there ss# is there a company out there that I can contact that may be able...

View more questions Search