Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newfie12 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2010, 08:05 PM
    Can I sue Facebook for slander
    Someone that I know has put very distastefull words on his Facebook page for everyone to see.. even has my name in one off the commets.. had distasteful comments from others.. again for all to see.. I have contacted Facebook about this several times but nothing was done... can I sue?. I have copied and sent what was said to Facebook.. have all the names of those included.. have also keep a copy of what has been said
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2010, 08:59 PM
    Hi, newfie12!

I'm sure that the Administration of Facebook probably gets hundreds of emails every day. When did you contact the Administration of Facebook, please?

Thanks!

Apr 3, 2010, 09:57 AM
    I sent them an email a few days ago... and got a reply about privacy and stuff.. but the thing is by asking these people to remove it only provotes them to continue it even more.. and then I sent f/b another email yesterday as its still on fb? Its been on their fb page sine the 24th..
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2010, 11:18 AM

Report the user's page. On the bottom of the left navigation bar on the user's profile, click "Report/Block this Person". A window will pop up and you can check "Report this Person" then choose "Cyber Bullying" as the reason, as that seems to fit the best.

That usually gets quicker results that directly e-mailing Facebook.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 3, 2010, 11:41 AM

Slander is spoken, so no, you can't sue for slander unless you actually spoke to someone from Facebook and they slandered you. Emailing to tell them that you don't like what was written, and them not writing back, that's not slander or libel.

Bottom line, Facebook isn't posting libel (that's written) the person using FB may possibly be doing so. So no, you can't sue Facebook and unless the person posting is making claims that are libelous, you don't have a suit against them either.

Calling someone names isn't libel. It's insulting, but it's not libelous.

What exactly was posted?

Apr 3, 2010, 11:42 AM

I have done that several times... no go... thanks
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2010, 04:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by newfie12 View Post
    I have done that several times...no go...thanks
    Well, my recommendation is to to ignore it then. If you've reported them several times and Facebook has not done anything, then it is quite possible that they (Facebook) does not see anything wrong with it. Or they have not yet gotten around to viewing the content.

What Altenweg has said is, to the best of my knowledge, true. If you tell us what has been said, then we may be able to help more on the legal side if you legitimately wish to sue this person who is posting negative things about you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 3, 2010, 05:04 PM

You will need to prove your identity to Facebook and send them in certified mail, ( not emails that they don't read) To attempt to fix this.
    But they are not responsible for content, the person who posted it is, So you may sue the poster for this, if it is
    1. untrue
    2 has cost you some harm that can be measured in money
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 6, 2010, 05:35 PM

Here is the legal definition of slander.

Ref:

Slander Law & Legal Definition
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 6, 2010, 05:51 PM

"Altenweg agrees : So I was wrong? :( Sigh. The law sucks! ;)"

Nobody said you were wrong. Its just there are other parties involved and really the laws of the land dictate what it really means. So depending on where you live it varies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sue for slander? [ 6 Answers ]

I am a manager for a multi practice medical clinic, there is a manager (who self imposed the title Regional Manager) who is constantly causing problems with the company via gossip and slander. Just recently, I was accused of drinking on the job by another employee who for whatever reason can't...

Sue for Slander? [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend's ex wife keeps telling everyone I hit one of their children. She has told the children it so many times it is one of the first things out of their 3 year olds mouth when I see them. "We can't be around you, you hit "tommy". I have been putting up with this and trying to bite my tongue...

Can I sue for slander [ 2 Answers ]

MY ex-boyfriend keeps going around telling everyone that I am still sleeping with him that is the reason why all of the girls at my school call me a slut and the guys think I am very promiscuous I am in high school now and I am starting to feel helpless about this situation even my current...

Can I sue for slander? [ 20 Answers ]

About a year ago, while I was pregnant with my daughter, I was arrested on criminal charges (egging a car) and spent hours in jail. This accusation came from a "friend/girlfriend" of my ex boyfriend, my baby's father. I then got an attorney and went forward in the case. Time after time it was...

Can I sue for slander? [ 7 Answers ]

I have been falsely accused of filing a lawsuit against a business. I use to work there and then I quit for a different job. The owner is pissed off because his business has suffered since I left the management position, so he has been telling all his customers that I am suing him for an accident...

View more questions Search