Is this legal

Asked May 5, 2009, 04:47 PM — 42 Answers
    On Friday my son found a summons for court to my husband from a collections lawyer in are mailbox no envelope ! Is this legal? I thought you had to be surved in person or reg mail! Dose anyone No ! I live in NY .

I found a summons in my mail box in May, This was from a lawyer who was now representing a collections company that had bought my account from 2003.
    (I thought this was paid when I filled out the Insurance forms that where provided by the credit card company when I was sick). I filled out an answer form with my side of story and filed it with the court .Sent a certified copies to the lawyer of the answer form as well as a validation of debt letter. I received my court date in the mail on the first of June , (Court date set for August ) Thought well I will get my day in Court! Well Friday I receive a letter from the Lawyers office with 3 copies of stipulation discontinuing action form . Anyone Familiar with This ? I would like more information on stipulation discontinuing action .

Last edited by Fr_Chuck; Jun 14, 2009 at 08:34 PM.
    Motherofmany's Avatar
    Motherofmany Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

#21

Aug 14, 2009, 08:49 AM
    Kay
    As always your input is appreciated. Thank you!
    This site is a keeper in my favorites ,Thank you to all that give input
    I away think you are never to old to learn & try in brace it.
    Wish me luck Im off to the court house!
    Motherofmany's Avatar
    Motherofmany Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

#22

Aug 16, 2009, 09:17 AM
    Questions”

Lets say the judge issue an order to vacate the judgment!
    I Get my copy from court house, Blank Affidavit of service paper.
    Arrange to have them served. How much dose that run about?

Do I then serve my Answer to the courts & attorney ?

Can I request in my answer to the court & attorney that the plaintiff validate
    The debt they claim I owe.

When Can I send out validation request?

How dose the order of things work?
    Motherofmany's Avatar
    Motherofmany Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

#23

Aug 17, 2009, 09:41 AM
    Well Judge signed Paperwork
    Judge marks off " Affidavit of service by mail " that works for me!
    So I will have the husband send it out & fill affidavit have it notarized & wait for return receipt ,Attach to Affidavit send back to court! Then wait for court date!
    So while I wait I need to send out answer to summons (court, Lawyer ) & Validation of debt .
    JudyKayTee's Avatar
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,513, Reputation: 4591

#24

Aug 17, 2009, 10:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Motherofmany View Post
    Well Judge signed Paperwork
    judge marks off " Affidavit of service by mail " that works for me!
    so I will have the husband send it out & fill affidavit have it notarized & wait for return receipt ,Attach to Affidavit send back to court! then wait for court date!
    so while I wait I need to send out answer to summons (court, Lawyer ) & Validation of debt .

When this is done you'll be a qualified expert on this board - congratulations!
    Motherofmany's Avatar
    Motherofmany Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

#25

Aug 17, 2009, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I don't know if I would qualified as an expert ! But will try to continue to pass on the knowledge & support like I have seen here.
    Motherofmany's Avatar
    Motherofmany Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

#26

Aug 21, 2009, 07:51 PM
    The quite before the storm! I don’t quit, no what to make of it!
    I signed up FICO to keep an eye on my credit!
    Today I get an alert LVNV Funding ,LLC (The company sueing me )removed everything from my credit report!!
    That is odd because I just sent out my “Validation of debt letter’! No green card yet! We will just have to wait & see!
    Motherofmany's Avatar
    Motherofmany Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

#27

Aug 25, 2009, 06:49 PM
    Well today I received my Green Card sent it all into court!( made copies First) . Put in for my day off from work ,sent out all letters , now all I can do is wait!
    ! wish me luck!
    Motherofmany's Avatar
    Motherofmany Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

#28

Sep 14, 2009, 04:42 PM
    Today in the mail I received
    "Affirmation in opposition to order to show cause"
    I am thinking that this is the plaintiff attorney sending
    Me notice that he opposes
    The motion to vacate judgment.
    Can anyone give me more info on his !
    Maybe a small crash course
    I am going to court on Thursday (9/17/09)
    Motherofmany's Avatar
    Motherofmany Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

#29

Sep 15, 2009, 04:47 PM

Judy , Mr. Yet !
    Would you happen to know if I have to reply to this in writing?
    Or is this just formalities in letting me know that they oppose!
    I have court on 9/17 and I received this just yesterday.
    Motherofmany's Avatar
    Motherofmany Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

#30

Sep 17, 2009, 06:12 PM
    Went to court today ! No show for lawyer.
    Judge noticed that lawyer sent a” Affirmation in opposition to order to show cause"
    He ask if I had received a copy. I told him that I just received it! He ask if I had a reply, I told him I wasn’t able to look it over .He said because I just received it to look it over & if I have a answer That I should have it into the court by next Thursday!I will answer ! Send into court,send a copy to lawyer!

Legal status (student visa) becoming legal resident? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a legal resident green card holder and have been so for 28 years. I met someone and fell in love and got married. The problem is she is here on a student visa. I would like to know if it is possible for her to obtain legal obtain status. There are a few circumstances that I feel that may...

Is there legal visitation rights for nonbiological or legal parents [ 5 Answers ]

I am from South Dakota and I had met a man that had full legal custody of his infant son. The biological mother very rare saw the child and was not involved in his life. I started dating this man when the child was 8 months old and we were engaged by the time he was 11 months old. The child's...

I'm sure it's legal right? [ 1 Answers ]

So, a co worker of mine asked me a question... and it's made me wonder. I was married in England, divorced in America, which took approx. 2.33 seconds, yeah wonderful huh... this was done within the courts... She said are you sure this is legal if you went back to england.::confused:

Is this really legal? [ 3 Answers ]

In California, is it legal for a company to write-up or fire employees if they have more than 3 sick days (without dr's note but also non-consecutively) in 90 days?

Giving up legal right to pursue legal actions [ 8 Answers ]

I want to up all legal right to pursue legal action against my male partner before I give birth to my unborn child. How do I go about doing that? I mean I want it in written form that I give up the right to sue him for any type of child support or any type of care to my child. Also I don't want to...