Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cleaningman23 Posts: 255, Reputation: 5

Apr 16, 2009, 07:44 PM
    Interested in hiring employees for my cleaning service
    I am getting ready to hire two employees for part time work for my residential and commercial cleaning business. Only thing that I am clueless about is how much to pay them. I am just a little unsure what the going wages are at the moment for Maids and Commercial Cleaning Maids.

Is there a big difference. I want happy employees but I am also keeping in mind that I am trying to get this business of the ground and can't afford a lot...

Any advice is greatly appreciated... thank you
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Apr 20, 2009, 05:31 PM

'Maids' is not a term often used on the commercial side of the cleaning business. Which brings me to another point... in some cases, it may not be wise to mention that you are in the residential side of the business when calling on commercial business. My experience is that some feel it is a big step up to commercial... just my experience CM. Simply say that you have been in the cleaning business (for however long... ).

My suggestion is: pay minimum legal wage to start. In Illinois this have been ratcheted up and there is another raise coming (I am not sure but I believe this July '09). If you can offer them full time then this should be sufficient.

Another point, I assume that you are going with 'employees' rather than 'sub-contractors?' Much, much safer... with employees (we covered this before). Full time is (I believe) 32 hours/week, anything over this will require benefits, over 40 hrs per week will require OT (time and a half per hour over 40). Go to the State of Illinois web site for minimum wage....

Another question, how did you incorporate; LLC, Sub S, C Corp..

Stringer
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 20, 2009, 07:24 PM

It all depends on location also, I doubt you would get much results in Atlanta for anything under 10 or 11 dollars a hour . ** at least not anyone I would put into the homes of others. Remember one bad thing, esp if it makes the newspapers will be all people can think of for years.

Also remember that you will be paying unemployment taxes, workers comp insurance and your share of their FDIC taxes
    Business Expert

Apr 20, 2009, 07:53 PM

The State and Federal agencies are bearing down on using sub-contractors especially in the commercial cleaning business. Used to be that the 'Grandfather' clause was sufficient... not safe any more.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 20, 2009, 07:55 PM

Yes they can be sub contractors as long as they really are, but if they are employees, merely paid as contractors, no does not work
    Business Expert

Apr 20, 2009, 09:00 PM

Yep, true... but it is truly difficult to find qualified sub-contractors and then enough of them to help you out. Now, IF you can find a sub-contractor that has employees/workers already that could help.

And by 'qualified' I don't only mean experienced, they must meet the State requirement of a true sub-contractor, and there are quite a few.

Stringer
    Cleaningman23 Posts: 255, Reputation: 5

Apr 20, 2009, 09:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    'Maids' is not a term often used on the commercial side of the cleaning business. Which brings me to another point...in some cases, it may not be wise to mention that you are in the residential side of the business when calling on commercial business. My experience is that some feel it is a big step up to commercial...just my experience CM. Simply say that you have been in the cleaning business (for however long...).

My suggestion is: pay minimum legal wage to start. In Illinois this have been ratcheted up and there is another raise coming (I am not sure but I believe this July '09). If you can offer them full time then this should be sufficient.

Another point, I assume that you are going with 'employees' rather than 'sub-contractors?' Much, much safer....with employees (we covered this before). Full time is (I believe) 32 hours/week, anything over this will require benefits, over 40 hrs per week will require OT (time and a half per hour over 40). Go to the State of Illinois web site for minimum wage....

Another question, how did you incorporate; LLC, Sub S, C Corp....?

Stringer

Excuse me lol commercial maids sounds so newbish to me. I meant to say Janitors and Maids..
    Ok I was planning on some sort of minimum wage also

I had another question though.. Is it better to hire a few Part time employees or more...
    Then just a single full time employee??

My business is a Sub S Corporation...

I couldn't help read another post of yours saying you helped your wife with a cleaning business..

How long did it take for her to build up her clients Jwin
    Business Expert

Apr 20, 2009, 10:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleaningman23 View Post
    Excuse me lol commercial maids sounds so newbish to me. I meant to say Janitors and Maids..
    Ok i was planning on some sort of minimum wage also

I had another question though.. Is it better to hire a few Part time employees or more....
    Then just a single full time employee???

My business is a Sub S Corporation....

I couldnt help read another post of yours saying you helped your wife with a cleaning business..

How long did it take for her to build up her clients Jwin
    Starting I would try to stay with employees that you work less than 32 hours per week.

We worked hard (it was a lot of fun) put out flyers every other day. She researched the areas and tried to get those areas where the homes were at or above $300,000.00 or so. Within two weeks she had two homes, a month she had 4 homes, it kept increasing and we kept putting out the flyers. After she was going at aroound 20 to 25 homes we she did the flyers about once per week or so. Then she even paid one of her girls to take flyers for 4 hours a week. And she was a good business woman, she managed her business well and got a lot of referrals too. As you read, she eventually had well over 50 homes; 35% were weekly, 40% were twice monthly and the rest were monthly. She had made contact with home builders and did a lot of final clean ups also.

Had the business a few years and sold it with a very nice profit. Also pulled $800.00 per week from the new owner for 3 months working to 'bridge' the transition... She worked about an hour per day for this.

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cleaning Service [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I started a cleaning service and would like to clean offices. Do we need to be insured and/or bonded to do this?

Cleaning Service [ 2 Answers ]

How do you bid on jobs such as office buildings and call centers without over bidding?

Cleaning service employer makes employees sign a document [ 18 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have a question I need help with. My wife is employed by a cleaning business and she has worked there for 8 months now, this business employs no full time people but many casual, part time , on call women etc. We recently registered our own business in the same industry, as my wife...

Hiring a Cleaning Crew [ 2 Answers ]

I am hiring a cleaning crew which is licensed & bonded. I was told that if one of the crew were hurt in my house, I would be responsible but that homeowners insurance would cover any claims made. Is this true?

Cleaning Service [ 5 Answers ]

I want to start my own cleaning service, but I have no idea how to get started. My question is what do I need to do to get started?

View more questions Search