Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cleaninghouses Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2008, 10:13 AM
    Cleaning Service
    My husband and I started a cleaning service and would like to clean offices. Do we need to be insured and/or bonded to do this?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2008, 03:04 AM

Hi, cleninghouses!

Of course you need to have at least liability insurance. Being bonded is usually not a requirement, but I don't know that laws concerning this where you will be working. So, it would help to know where you will be working. Being bonded is something that looks good for advertising, but is not something that most customers look for. In short, it's usually an unnecessary expense.

Please put the two words Clough, Cleaning into the search function at the top of this page and then perform a search. You're going to find many threads where the subject of starting and maintaining a cleaning service has been discussed. You can find threads where just about every aspect of that sort of business has been discussed in detail.

If you would like ideas as to how you might promote your business for free on the Internet to get excellent exposure, please let me know.

Thanks!
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Nov 26, 2008, 01:20 AM

Bonds are usually only required on bids that are for city, county, state, federal or large clients (with egos).

You may understand how a bond works however if you don't:

The bid will state if a bond is necessary in the bidding process. It can state an exact amount but usually will state a percentage of the bid price. For example; 10% of the monthly or or 2-3% of the annual bid price.

If this is stated, you must then get a "Bid Bond" from an insurance company for that amount listing the client also on the bond. IF you do not perform your service or perform in a manner NOT acceptable to the client you will forfeit that bond to the client and you will be out the money you paid for that bond. Not only that, you probably will never get a bond again from any insurance company.

You should ALWAYS do your due diligence in closely reading AND understanding all that is written and required in a bid package. There is much to be leary about. Always error on the side of caution. Always consult an attorney if you have ANY questions about bid packages from any of the above mentioned entities.

Also, large companies and municipalities usually have a staff of attorneys that have time on their hands so they spend much of it preparing these bids and love to use "lawyer talk." Can be very dangerous to you as a vendor if you have little experience.

Another thing about reading every word and understanding it; usually this type of "client" wants a "termination clause." This basically states that the client can get out of the contract for non performance and usually after proper written notice after 30 days. This is usually standard, anything different should be discussed with your attorney PRIOR to bidding. And if a bond was required, you will lose it.

I usually prefer not to bid these types of jobs, a hassle and they pay late almost always... especially now that the economy isn't good and their revenue is down like the State of Illinois. I hear they are in some cases six months behind and that will put you out of business my friend.

More information than you asked for right? Ha, sorry.

If you have any questions, please post them here.

I wish you success,

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cleaning Service [ 2 Answers ]

How do you bid on jobs such as office buildings and call centers without over bidding?

Cleaning service [ 2 Answers ]

My fiancé came up with an idea he wants to start a cleaning service, I am behind him all the way. My question is how do we go about starting this? We are in niagara falls, ny area

Cleaning service [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, do you need a certain license to start a cleaning business and if so do you need to be a certain age

Cleaning Service [ 5 Answers ]

I want to start my own cleaning service, but I have no idea how to get started. My question is what do I need to do to get started?

Residential cleaning service [ 3 Answers ]

My name is Mari. I recently started a cleaning company. I have already cleaned serveral homes but I am having a hard time as to what I am suppose to charge. I do not have much experience in this field but thought it would be a good flexible job while I am in school. I have tried to get advice...

View more questions Search