Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aztecfcdad Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2007, 11:28 AM
    Painting - Pricing by the square foot
    I've been reading some of the posts and replies regarding pricing a paint job by the square foot. I would like it if someone can help me make sense of the following scenarios, the scenarios do not include paint, patch work, textured surface and ceiling.

Example 1:Room
    10' X 10' room @ $.70 per sq.ft. = $70.00 (is this correct)

OR

Example 2: A room with 4 walls, wall height is 8', wall width is 10'.
    Wall 1 8' X 10' Wall @ $.70 per sq.ft. = $56.00
    Wall 2 8' X 10' Wall @ $.70 per sq.ft. = $56.00
    Wall 3 8' X 10' Wall @ $.70 per sq.ft. = $56.00
    Wall 4 8' X 10' Wall @ $.70 per sq.ft. = $56.00

Total = $224.00 for a room with 4 walls that measure 8' X 10' (each wall)

Which quote is correct?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 01:01 AM
    Your second example is correct.
    Wingrider Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2007, 06:23 PM
    How did you arrive at the .70? I'm dealing with the very same issue getting started. We have people bidding as low as .50 a square foot for a coat of primer and top coat. I am struggling to figure how they are making any money at these prices.

BTW, that includes labor.
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2007, 06:35 PM
    Hi, Wingrider!

I am online right now. Have you read my other more extensive responses to painting questions?

Thanks!

Clough
    Wingrider Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2007, 10:51 PM
    No I haven't come across them yet. Can you steer me in that direction. I know that there are several discussions going on.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2007, 01:23 AM
    I wish that I had been here when you came answered on this post above. I did go looking for my posts. They are hard to find because of the system right now is only letting me go so far back in the archives. It does that sometimes.

I am usually late at night. If you could let me know about when you will be on here, I will try to be on at the same time. Okay?

I would love to discuss the painting business with you!
    raymondo1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by aztecfcdad
    I've been reading some of the posts and replies regarding pricing a paint job by the square foot. I would like it if someone can help me make sense of the following scenarios, the scenarios do not include paint, patch work, textured surface and ceiling.

Example 1:Room
    10' X 10' room @ $.70 per sq.ft. = $70.00 (is this correct)

OR

Example 2: A room with 4 walls, wall height is 8', wall width is 10'.
    Wall 1 8' X 10' Wall @ $.70 per sq.ft. = $56.00
    Wall 2 8' X 10' Wall @ $.70 per sq.ft. = $56.00
    Wall 3 8' X 10' Wall @ $.70 per sq.ft. = $56.00
    Wall 4 8' X 10' Wall @ $.70 per sq.ft. = $56.00

Total = $224.00 for a room with 4 walls that measure 8' X 10' (each wall)

Which quote is correct?
    innew construction you 99 out of a 100 will asked to give a sq. ft. price based on the floor area sq. ft. so if a house has a total sq. ft. area of say 6,000 under air, a garage with 800 sq. ft, lanai, 1500 sq ft.and an entry at 100 sq ft. please understand that this this floor area not wall area. So i usually work in the upper high end homes in naples florida so even though the economey is bad i start at about $ 3.00 a sq. ft. this does not include
    crown, mahogany front doors, windows wrapped in wood, french doors and staircase. So the price is about $ 5.50 a sq. ft. so this house would be
    total under roof 8,400 x $ 5.50 = $ 46,200.00 this is all inclusive interior & exterior. Upgardes would be satin finish on walls, t&g ceiling, epoxy of garage floor.
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2008, 04:36 AM
    Original question is now quite old.

In order to bid on a paint job for the interior or exterior of a home, you need to know the following:

The texture and make-up of the surface area where the paint will be applied.

How the paint will be applied, i.e. by brush, roller or spray.

How many coats will be applied.

How many gallons of paint that will be applied and the cost of the paint.

Whether the pricing is to be by the square foot or linear foot depending on how the paint is to be applied.

The kind of paint and sheen of paint that will be applied.

The location and going rates in the area where the paint will be applied.

How much repair and preparation that may need to be done to the surfaces to which the paint is to be applied.

Whether a primer coat or coats may need to be applied.

What is stipulated in the Contract concerning what the Contractor's responsibilities are and those of the Customer concerning the paint job.

Whether there will be one or more persons who will be doing the job who will be employed as friends or actual employees of the main painter doing the job.

Many factors that must be considered here...

Etc. etc, etc,.
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2008, 04:39 AM
    Because the original question is now quite old, and because it has been sufficiently answered and to avoid confusion with other answers that might appear, this question is now being closed.

Question Closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bid per square foot [ 4 Answers ]

I have just got back into doing interior construcion cleaning. I am having problems finding out what is the going rate per sq. ft. I was in cleaning about 10 yrs ago so the prices have change dramatically. Before I took over the business from someone else, so I never got to do the bidding or...

Square foot [ 14 Answers ]

I need to know the inches per side of a 24 square foot board.

Cost per foot for painting [ 14 Answers ]

How much do businesses usually charge per foot for painting interior and exterior?

View more questions Search