Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shoegal Posts: 263, Reputation: 18

Nov 18, 2009, 02:29 PM
    Boyfriend/Best Friend Situation
    Hello
    So I've been been best friends with my friend Amy for over 10 years. We've done everything together since then. She's never had a boyfriend, and I didn't date much in high school so we've always had all the time in the world for each other. Well.. now were roomates in college. I have also found the love of my life. He's amazing.. and we plan to spend the rest of our lives together. The problem is, Amy hates him. She's known him for years.. and doesn't even like to look at him. She hates him.. a lot. Now Amy hardly talks to me. I talk to her everyday.. still joke with her and try to make her happy. She hardly talks to me. She ignores me in the dorm, and yells at me when I spend time with my boyfriend. I told her I'm thinking about moving out and moving back home. I didn't tell her it was because of her.. but she wasn't happy. She yells at me for everything when she doesn't ignore me. I don't know what to do! I've sat down and talked with her, but she just gets angry and says I should break up with him. True.. my boyfriend and I had problems in the beginning which is why she thinks he's no good for me. But I won't break up with him for her. She's being selfish.. What do I do?
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2009, 03:37 PM

I've been in 2 such situations, and have dealt with this on a consistent basis for the last 3 years of my life- that's since me and my fiancé have been dating. I've also been to counseling about this many, many times.

You need to limit your conversation subjects with Amy in order to have a healthy relationship with her, and with your boyfriend (this is more than likely putting a stress on you and your boyfriend.) If your friend brings up anything negative in conversation, stop, and tell her that you'd rather not talk about your boyfriend this way, and stick up for him. Your boyfriend will be gratefull to know that you defend him in an argument between you and your best friend! (I get protective of my fiancé when my sister starts to bad-mouth him. I don't defend him disrespectfully though- I state my opinion and tell her that she is entitled to her own, but I'd rather she not express it negatively around me.) If she persists, tell her that you are going to leave, (or hang up the phone) and you will gladly talk to her later.

Amy needs to realize that your relationship with her is separate from your relationship with your boyfriend- it's important that you separate your relationships, there's no need to mingle them- especially if one is having issues with another. You and Amy can have a healthy relationship, even while you are dating someone that Amy isn't too fond of, but both of you have to be on the same page.

Don't take Amy's opinion personally, and don't let it rob from you and your boyfriend's relationship. You could even ask if he has any ideas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Complicated situation with best friend [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, so I'm going to cut to the chase... Me and one of my best girl mates have been hanging out quite a lot recently- just talking about life, relationships and the trouble she's having with this guy. Things just felt so normal- but I started to notice her look at me differently, and she would make...

Big friend, big situation [ 6 Answers ]

:mad:So I got this friend who has gotten really out of shape. She still pretty and everything but she looked way better without the extra weight. She's a good person too, its just that I'm tired of hearing the guys make fun of her in the locker room. I defended many times but they keep talking...

It's the Friend situation, Again! [ 7 Answers ]

I know this isn't new and I have read answers to others' questions but I feel as if I need to add my personal info to get advice specifically for me. So, I'm looking to make new friends (girls) but feel like I've been out of the loop since high school and have gotten a little lost about what I...

Awkward situation with friend/ex [ 9 Answers ]

I am 21, the girl is 19. Her and I dated for about a month nearly a year ago. She had just gotten out of a relationship, and our dating ended because she still felt something for her ex. They broke up once again shortly after they tried to reconcile, but that's irrelevant to the issue I'm wondering...

How to be a GOOD FRIEND in this situation.. [ 8 Answers ]

Hi there, my husband and I live in a very isolated part of Australia. There are a lot of young families here for work - Living away from their families and friends back on the coast. We have become close to another married couple, which has been nice for company and support. On Sunday my friend...

View more questions Search