Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nithinraikar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 10:26 PM
    Working in two states, different company
    I have worked for the same company and in two different states last year. I lived in NY from Jan to July 2006 and then transferred to PA in August. I am a current resident in PA.

I received two W2 forms in the mail for working in each state. The figure in Line 1 in both W2s are the same

I am confused regarding the figures that are reported in Line 16 (state wages) for the two W2s.

For my PA state W2, Line 16 equals 2/5 the amount of my total wages in Line 1. This makes sense to me since I earned income in PA from August 2006 onwards.. roughly 5 months.

However, for my New York state W2, state wages in Line 16 equals the figure in Line 1. This does not make sense to me since I lived in NY from Jan to July. How can the two figures be equal if I only worked a portion of the year (7 months) in NY. I would expect the figure in Line 16 to be 3/5 the amount of Line 1... and essentially, that the two Line 16 figures add up to Line 1.

Does this make any sense? I am concerned that there is any error on my NY W2 form and that I may run into issues in doing my states taxes for the respectives states.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 21, 2007, 11:40 AM
    The income on Line 1 for the NY W-2 has to be ALLOCATED to each state. This si something new for NY resident this year (as if the NY state tax return was not complicated enough). NY state provid a separate form to perform the allocation calculations.

If you want to give it a shot, go ahead, but I recommend you get professional tax help, as the allocation process CAN be somewhat tricky.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

4 states of matter [ 17 Answers ]

I needinformation and examples of the 4th state of matter, solid liquid, gas, plasma..

Company Introduction Letter (B2B) for a HR services outsourcing company [ 10 Answers ]

How can I make a good company Introduction letter (B2B), for a HR outsourcing company? Please help me out with any free samples.

H1 consultant working in other state than company [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am on H1 visa and I work for a company which is in Texas. Presently I am in California, working for company's client. My payroll is run by company in Texas and they apply Texas State Tax(No sate tax) and Federal Tax on my pay check. Do I need to pay California Income tax ?

View more questions Search