Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lauryang Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2008, 09:39 AM
    Company in CA, working location in NY, live in NJ
    It seems I have very complicated situation-- my own company is located in CA ( my W2-state tax withdraw is CA), but my office is in NY city and we live in NJ, my wife works in NJ.
    Can you tell me what exactly the states we should file our tax return and don't get double taxed?

Thanks a lot
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 02:04 PM
    You file and pay taxes to NY state but NOT NY city.

You file for NJ and pay taxes on your wife's NJ income. More than likely, the credit given for NY taxes paid will alomost completely offset any NJ taxes owed.

You file for California to get ALL of the withheld taxes back. California has NO LEGAL STANDING to tax your income since you are not physically located there.

Tell your employer to STOP withholding CA taxes, refund the taxes withheld to date in 2008, and START withholding NY taxes. BTW, he has no legal choice in this matter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax refund if company changed location from NY to NJ mid year [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I live in NJ and work for a company which was located (not sure if incorporated is correct term!) in NY (NYC) and later moved the office to NJ. For the duration the company office was in NYC I was taxed by NY state tax laws and later by NJ state tax laws. Would I be able to claim...

Working with live wires [ 15 Answers ]

Under what circumstances is it possible to touch a "hot wire" with your bare hands without getting "zapped"?

Working in GA, live in AL [ 2 Answers ]

I have been reading this forum about others with similar issues and just wanted to clarify before submitting this year's taxes. I currently live in AL but work in GA (and have for all of 2007). Per some of the previous posts, I should do the following (correct?): File in Georgia as a...

Introduction working with new company\ [ 1 Answers ]

I have started with a new company and wanted to contact past costumers and let them know where I am?

Working in two states, different company [ 1 Answers ]

I have worked for the same company and in two different states last year. I lived in NY from Jan to July 2006 and then transferred to PA in August. I am a current resident in PA. I received two W2 forms in the mail for working in each state. The figure in Line 1 in both W2s are the same I...

View more questions Search