Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    izabet Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

Apr 15, 2008, 05:22 PM
    Huge Hydroquoine Issue.
    I recently had a big discoloration patch on my face to my neck and went to a dermotalogist to get it checked out. Anyway the derm. Recommended a low dosage of Hydroquoine ( 2%). I went home and immediately wanted to check out if the product would work for me so I did a small test patch on the back of my thigh. Everything was okay.. no burning, no tingling, nothing! So I washed my face first and then lathered on a small amount of the cream. I made sure that it was a thin layer of cream and I was extra cautious to evenly spread it out.

Anyway after like 2 minutes my face started to tingle and I thought it was just the medication working... so I ignored it. Anyway I didn't feel anything for the rest of the evening and then the next morning when I went to wash my face I noticed small bumps all over my face and all around my neck! They are red, irritated, and so sore to the touch. I called in sick to work and just stayed home applying ice to my face and neck to keep down the swelling but it's so painful. I called the derm. And she said, I most likely had a allergic reaction to the cream and she even had the nerve to tell me that I should've tested it on another area of my body! When I told her I did test it she said.. she didn't know what to do over the phone but to schedule an appointment. Anyway my appointment is in two weeks and I'm so upset she's not doing more to help me!

This is my face!! I'm so angry, distraught, and extremely worried!

It's been 3 days now and the pimples are starting to heal but the whole irritated area is turning so much darker than my other skin and half my face looks like it's wearing a mask! MASK!

please help me! has anyone experienced this ? Is this common ?

I feel so helpless right now! I wanted to go out last night to get some anti-itch cream for my face because the scabs are so itchy and I couldn't even do that!

HELP!

Apr 16, 2008, 06:33 AM
    Anyone willing to offer any advice? Please!

I can't stop crying about this...
    I asked for a two week leave from my office so I won't be going back until May 1st but I'm so worried about how I'm going to look afterwards. Right now the scabs are healing really well but the skin is starting to peel a lot! I don't know what I'm going to tell friends and family when they see that I'm two different shades on my face/neck area... I'm seriously considering sueing the derm.
    sassyT Posts: 184, Reputation: 7

Apr 16, 2008, 08:13 AM
    Izabeth, Hydroquoine is an extremely dangerous substance and has been banned in many Asian African and European countries. I don't know why America still allows that crap to be sold to people. Every time someone goes to a derm. All they do is prescribe HQ which has a lot of negative effects. Chances are when you go to your derma she is going to prescibe and even stronger HQ. So my advice to you is look for a natural skin whitener that works for you. There are a lot available out there that have natural lightners like Kojic Acid, Licorice extract, vitamin C etc.
    I have used Diana Stalder orange soap and whitening cream and it really smoothed and brightened my skin. The orange soap stings for a while but it does a great job exfoliating and the whitening cream works really well too. It lighten me about a shade and half after 2months but depending on your skin tone it might not take that long.

I am now using this product since Sunday and like it so far. It is a very strong whitener because it has 5 different natural whitening ingredients.
    Peter Thomas Roth Potent Botanical Skin Brightening Gel Complex at DermStore

So bottom line is stay away from HQ, find a natural lightner and where sunscrean ALWAYS.
    Nicole82 Posts: 64, Reputation: 3

Apr 16, 2008, 10:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by izabet
    anyone willing to offer any advice? please!

i can't stop crying about this....
    i asked for a two week leave from my office so i won't be going back until May 1st but i'm so worried about how i'm going to look afterwards. right now the scabs are healing really well but the skin is starting to peel alot! i don't know what i'm going to tell friends and family when they see that i'm two different shades on my face/neck area...i'm seriously considering sueing the derm.
    I experience the same thing. Don't put ANTHING on your face until the soreness leaves!! Rinse it with COOL water about 7times a day. After the soreness leaves, use a vitamin C Avalon Organics Renewal Cream. Im sorry about what happened to you; you'll be finehttp://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2133600&cp&sr=1&origkw=avalon& kw=avalon&parentPage=search
    shaneze Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 01:09 PM
    Hi
    Sassy you said in the Ds thread that it didn't lighten your skin and now you said that youn lightened about a shade and half?? I don't understand
    And can you tell me if you still use the Ds soap with your new cream(the Peter Roth botanical gel).If its possible can tell me what is the percentage of each ingredients in this gel?I would also like to try it but as its very expensive for me I prefer to know more about it before buying it
    Thanks
    codelle1 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 09:00 PM
    So sorry about your situation. I'm using hydro. Right now... 3% and so far its been working well. My skin actually looks better than before... so your situation is really confusin:confused:
    sassyT Posts: 184, Reputation: 7

Apr 17, 2008, 02:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shaneze
    Hi
    sassy you said in the Ds thread that it didnt lighten your skin and now you said that youn lightened about a shade and half???i dont understand
    and can you tell me if you still use the Ds soap with your new cream(the Peter Roth botanical gel).If its possible can tell me what is the percentage of each ingredients in this gel?I would also like to try it but as its very expensive for me i prefer to know more about it before buying it
    thanks
    I think I need to distiguish between lighten and Brighten. DS did Brighten my skin about a shade or a little more. About 1 and half after using it for more than 2 months. It cleared my spots and my complexion has a nice glow to it. However my goal is to become 3-4 shades lighter because my body is that much lighter than my face. So I guess DS is not as strong as I hoped it would be, for my skin at least. But I can't complain about it because cleared spots and "brightened" my skin. I am hoping the Peter Roth will lighten my skin up to 3 shades.. I still use the DS Kojic soap yes because it is a good exfoliater.

I don't know what percentage of each ingredient it has but I'm guessing it is very potent with 5 different lightening ingredients that inhibit melanin production in different ways. I don't know but I have a lot of hope :)
    I will keep you posted on progress.

P.S I got the Peter roth on e-bay for $25 + shipping.
    shaneze Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2008, 12:26 AM
    Hi
    Thanks sassy for your answer.
    Wish you good luck with this product :)
    ceruleanmist Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2008, 10:10 AM
    Hi izabet, I've been using hydroquinone 4% for a month and a half now. I got a reaction for the first 2 weeks, my face was all bumpy, red and uneven and itchy, but it cleared away soon after. I think its important to make sure you don't use anything else on your face in combination with it. But I guess you might just be unlucky and not compatible with it.

But I do want to say, its barely lightened me and doesn't feel strong enough anymore.
    Simply Jane Posts: 44, Reputation: 4
    -

Apr 18, 2008, 09:07 PM
    Wow, that's intense and pretty strong for the supposed 2% hq.

Quote Originally Posted by izabet
    I recently had a big discoloration patch on my face to my neck and went to a dermotalogist to get it checked out. Anyways the derm. recommended a low dosage of Hydroquoine ( 2%). I went home and immediately wanted to check out if the product would work for me so I did a small test patch on the back of my thigh. Everything was okay..no burning, no tingling, nothing! So I washed my face first and then lathered on a small amount of the cream. I made sure that it was a thin layer of cream and i was extra cautious to evenly spread it out.

Anyways after like 2 minutes my face started to tingle and i thought it was just the medication working...so i ignored it. Anyways I didn't feel anything for the rest of the evening and then the next morning when i went to wash my face i noticed small bumps all over my face and all around my neck! They are red, irritated, and so sore to the touch. I called in sick to work and just stayed home applying ice to my face and neck to keep down the swelling but it's so painful. I called the derm. and she said, I most likely had a allergic reaction to the cream and she even had the nerve to tell me that i should've tested it on another area of my body! When i told her I did test it she said..she didn't know what to do over the phone but to schedule an appointment. Anyways my appointment is in two weeks and i'm so upset she's not doing more to help me!

This is my face!!!! I'm so angry, distraught, and extremely worried!

it's been 3 days now and the pimples are starting to heal but the whole irritated area is turning so much darker than my other skin and half my face looks like it's wearing a mask! MASK!

please help me! has anyone experienced this ? Is this common ?

i feel so helpless right now! I wanted to go out last night to get some anti-itch cream for my face because the scabs are so itchy and i couldn't even do that!

HELP!

May 22, 2008, 03:47 AM
    Okay you just giving everybody a quick update.

I went back to the derm. To show her what the hydroquoine did to me and she was surprised it was so severe. I'm now probably a 3/4 of a shade dark in some areas of my face.. honestly though I just look like a cow. Some areas around my mouth, neck, and a portion of my left cheek are super dark while the rest of my facce is just really red and really dry. I put so much lotion and cream on my face during the day but it does not help at all. It is just so dry and rough as in texture.

I still haven't gone back to work. I explained that I have a funeral to attend and they have given me an extra week to cope. I cannot keep on lying. I still do not know what I will tell my family back home? I was in a fire, seriously what do I say when people ask me? I am so ashamed and embrassed. I could cry forever if I could.

The derm. Is not helping anymore either. She told me there is not anything she can do for me but to let my skin rest and do not do anything else because I will make it worse.

Also I talked to the derm. About possibly settling for damages because she disfigured me and she told me to contact the company who manufactors the cream because she does not have nothing to do with them and that she only is licensed to supply it only.

Help! What can I do at this point?
    PunkChic Posts: 986, Reputation: 51

May 22, 2008, 04:14 AM
    I'm really sorry to hear what happened to you. :(
    But yes, your skin needs to rest and heal. Use extra virgin olive oil on your face at night. It helped heal my skin when it became dry and irritated. And during the day use vitamin E oil (It's a light oil) or again the olive oil.
    It will not work instantly but in a week or 2 you should notice a difference. If you do decide to use it, let me know how it worked for you.
    tai18 Posts: 130, Reputation: 2

May 22, 2008, 10:46 AM
    I've been using Hydroquoine soaps for about 4 years and haven't got any irratations, I guess everyone's skin is different but maybe you were allergic which sucks if you use something else on your skin it will get more irratated if you haven't been using anything for about 2 or 3 weeks then try using a soap with cocoa butter and vitamin E don't use a Aloe vera one or one that has perfume that will really irratate your skin. & also get a new doc she SHOULD have gave you something go to a regular family doctor and ask them to give you something for it(something like this happened to my sister and they gave her some kind of cream and it went away in about 3 weeks):)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I get huge!now! [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 12 and I only weigh 4 1/2 stone and I'm desperat to gain weight please help me!

Thighs Are HUGE! [ 3 Answers ]

My thighs are really big I'm really young and I only ever wear black trousers any excersice advice on how I can get my thighs smaller xx

I need huge help! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm making a project for my school and I need to know some things about electrical subjects. 1- what's a 1900 box? 2- what's a j box? 3- what's EMT? 4- how many general circuits in a residential kitchen, what size wire, and how many amps per circuit? 5- if you found a yellow, orange, or...

View more questions Search