Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    virgo35 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2007, 05:58 AM
    Is breastfeeding contraindicated with glutathione?
    :confused: I want to know if taking glutathione is contraindicated if you are breastfeeding? Is there any effect to the baby? The baby is 1 yr 7mos old now.
    mosesgt Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Apr 1, 2007, 06:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by virgo35
    :confused: I want to know if taking glutathione is contraindicated if you are breastfeeding? is there any effect to the baby? the baby is 1 yr 7mos old now.
    Always ask your pediatrician before trying any new substance. The program "epocrates" is free on line. I checked my downloaded version. It said "safety not established. Avoid use" in pregnancy & lactation (breast feeding).
    I assume you are giving the little one something other than breast milk at that age. Initial breasfeeding is vital, but limiting them to just mom's milk is not sufficient as they get older. God Bless.
    Simply Jane Posts: 44, Reputation: 4
    -

Apr 22, 2008, 07:08 AM
    They are still doing an ongoing study about Glutathione and breastfeeding, I suggest to just eat healthy food while you're breastfeeding. This is a very crucial stage and you don't want to play with that chances, because it does not just include you but your baby most importantly. If you are taking supplements ala carte, I guess its OK, but it is not advisable to take any supplements pre-mixed. This is what I found regarding glutathione and breastfeeding GOODLUCK! :

Pregnancy/Breast-Feeding and Glutathione
    To date, the medical literature has not reported any adverse effects related to fetal development during pregnancy or to infants who are breast-fed. Yet little is known about the use of this dietary supplement while pregnant or breast-feeding. Therefore, it is recommended that you inform your healthcare practitioner of any dietary supplements you are using while pregnant or breast-feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by mosesgt
    Always ask your pediatrician before trying any new substance. The program "epocrates" is free on line. I checked my downloaded version. It said "safety not established. Avoid use" in pregnancy & lactation (breast feeding).
    I assume you are giving the little one something other than breast milk at that age. Initial breasfeeding is vital, but limiting them to just mom's milk is not sufficient as they get older. God Bless.
    rbenyGSH Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2008, 09:43 PM

This question requires multiple answers.

Glutathione is an extremely important molecule in the body. It is necessary for over thirty processes in the body. This includes being the master antioxidant, master detoxification agent and is necessary to buld the immune system. It helps protect every cell, and even help repair damaged DNA.

First, glutathione itself is poorly absorbed by the body. If you are taking an over-the-counter supplement of glutathione, you are probably not getting any benefits. So it doesn't make sense to take it whether you are breastfeeding or not.

Glutathione is produced by every cell of the body, assuming you have proper nutrition to provide the necessary precursors for glutathione. These precursors are glutamate, glycine, and cysteine. Our diets are typically rich in glutamate and glycine, but not cysteine. Unfortunately, cooked and processed foods, and foods grown in nutrient leached soils, are typically deficient in useable cysteine.

You need bioavailable cysteine to allow your cells to manufacture their own glutathione. Unfortunately, cysteine found as a supplement is typically not properly absorbed either. For example, milk has a very high concentration of what is called bonded cysteine. Drinking raw milk is a good source of bioavailable bonded cysteine. However, when it is pastuerized, the bonded cysteine is broken down, and no longer can be properly absorbed into the body to function in making glutathione.

Nature knew what it was doing when it designed milk, and for humans, breast milk. Babies need glutathione to build their immune system. Human milk has one of the highest concentrations of all nutrients necessary to make glutathione. However, heating or storing it will also diminish the ability for it to build glutathione in the baby. An infant, or even adult, that has insufficient glutathione will have a compromised immune system.

There are many foods and one naturally safe supplement that I know of that can provide necessary precursors for gluathione. I have a booklet on glutathione, its benefits and how to build it that goes into much more detail. I can send it to anyone that is seriously interested. You can contact me at [email protected].

So to answer your question: Most supplements are typically not safe, nor are they effective, in building glutathione. However, there are safe and effective ways to allow your body to buld glutathione, even for infants and pregnant women.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breastfeeding Problem [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have been nursing my son for about 11 months. The problem is that for the last 8 months he has only eaten off the left side, leaving the right one to dry up. Or so I thought, lately I have noticed some leakage coming from the nipple. Is this still milk or some kind of disharge. Is this...

How can you tell pregnant while breastfeeding? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 9 month old baby.I am breastfeeding, and no menst. Period yet. Last week had one day light, pinkish spotting. My boyfriend and I had sex the night before. Had negative. Pregnancy test, but am wondering if it is possible it was implantation spotting or just irritation from...

Breastfeeding [ 4 Answers ]

If I breastfeed will it make my nipples a little bit bigger? :D

Breastfeeding and alcohol [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering... I have a 7 month old who I am breastfeeding. I haven't had any alcohol of any kind (not that I ever drank much anyway) and my sisters want to take me out this weekend. I was wondering, now that he sleeps through the night am I able to go out and have like 4 drinks with them if...

View more questions Search