Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Catlover_in_Mexico Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2010, 09:43 AM
    What can you do about kittens eyes crusty and oozing pus?
    @bushg It appears to me you think yourself a vet or a professional when it comes to cats. I cured my 2 3 week old kittens by boiling chamolile tea bags and letting it steep. Then cleaned their eyes with the teabags gently using a different bag for each eye. I did this twice a day. I live in Mexico and the vets here are lacking to say the least. Also there is a drop you can use called solodrin animal eye drops that you can buy here in Mexico. Pus was gunking up there eyes so I took it upon myself to save them as we are poor, but the mother just happened to have them on the top of the house, so I had to do something. They are now 6 months old and all very healthy. Don't be so quick to criticize the poor people. We are people with good hearts that are only trying to help these homeless cats, I find your no-it-all attitude extremely rude. And you have no right to make someone feel that they know less than you or demand that they provide time on here. Perhaps Frank doesn't wish to or cannot afford the time you are so rudely asking he provide. Are you simply one of those wannabe vets? I see you have placed your staus as an ultra member. That cracks me up. Sincerely, Lorena
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 21, 2010, 09:55 AM

Bush hasn't been on the forum for quite a long time. Bush is classed as an ultra member by administrators because of her length of service, cat. We try not to judge people here and as far as I am concerned, when bush was on here her advice was always well placed and straightforward, it all depends on how you take it.

When was this post you are referring too, cat ? Just curious, it must be an old thread.

Tick

Jun 21, 2010, 12:17 PM

Hi tickle, it was in "kittens eyes" and yes it was from over a year ago. I'm sorry, but it just rubbed me the wrong way the way the post was worded.

Thanks,

CLIM~

Jun 21, 2010, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    bush hasnt been on the forum for quite a long time. Bush is classed as an ultra member by administrators because of her length of service, cat. We try not to judge people here and as far as I am concerned, when bush was on here her advice was always well placed and straightforward, it all depends on how you take it.

When was this post you are referring too, cat ? Just curious, it must be an old thread.

tick
    Well, now I can't find it. I'm sorry, you can delete this if needed. I had just stumbled onto it and can't find it now, but I know someone stated that it was at least a year old and it was started by a member named "spike!"
    Sorry to get in such an upset, but when people like myself who have lost everything in a San Diego fire, no insurance, then have to move to Mexico just to keep my family off the street and be able to feed them it smacks as rude to direct people that they have to take pets to the vet for the smallest of problems. My cats are doing fine now and I didn't take them to the vet. Maybe perhaps they would be a little bit kinder to people who are looking for help to take animals off the street and try to give them a loving home, and take into account that we are all not as RICH as each other. Some of us are poor, but still animal lovers. Unfortunately there is no humane society in Mexico, so I had to devise in order to save my kitties. :)
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jun 21, 2010, 10:32 PM

We always tell people to seek medical care for any illness or injury they or their animal has sustained. AFTER that, we'll offer alternative suggestions, if we have any. Advising them to seek professional medical attention makes it clear that we are NOT vets and can NOT diagnose and properly treat a problem over the Internet.

It also makes us feel just a little better about offering further advice. We understand that a vet isn't always an option, but it needs to be suggested just so that it HAS been said. It takes some of the worry off our minds to know that we've given the safest suggestion first. Only THEN do us more experienced poster feel comfortable offering other advice.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 22, 2010, 03:24 AM

Yes, cat, hhheath is right. We do have some qualified people here who work for vets but even then, not knowing prexisting medical conditions we can't diagnose. I know and hhheath knows too that we try as much as possible not knowing circumstances, but as you can understand giving a suggestion to cure a pet's ailment is a dangerous thing to do. Lots of people who have money won't spend it on their pets, pets suffer because of this.

I am sorry for your circumstances but you are one of the rare who can probably think through a situation and come out right in the end and in your case you did a good job.

Tick
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2010, 08:21 PM

Not to mention that some people do have the money to take their cat to the vet. And sometimes that really is the only option. I understand perfectly well that some people can't afford it, but it won't change the fact that we can't diagnose something online - the best we can do is say "it sounds like it could be" but we certainly wouldn't know for sure. (I mean, I could be pretty sure something "sounds like" diabetes, but that doesn't mean go put the cat on insulin without knowing, you know?) So afford it or not, sometimes there's just nothing that can be done without a vet. And sometimes there is, or things that can at least help to some extent.

And there's certainly nothing wrong with advising to take the cat to a vet - I'm not sure why you think that's somehow bad advice.

And it's very difficult to place your comment in context when we don't even know what that thread was or what was said on it. Addressing someone who isn't here won't help, and it's difficult to have an opinion on what you're saying when we don't know what you're referring to.
    Pinkie22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2011, 08:47 AM
    If you have kittens that have that pus like oozing in their eyes and their eyes are sticking shut from this infection, just go to the drug store and buy some neosporin ointment and put some in their eyes once a day for three days. I got this information from my vet, who has been in the business for over 50 years. He told me that neosporin ointment has the same antibotic in it that the ointment he has, for a lot less money.
    I tried it on my three week old kitten, and it work!! Her eyes are completely healed.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jun 19, 2011, 11:39 AM

Thread is a year old, and closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My guinea pig is sick.. he has crusty eyes, dirty nose, and dirty mouth.. what's wrong? [ 4 Answers ]

Tonight I went to feed him and noticed his eyes were suddenly very crusty an his nose was dirty. His nose was dirty the day before but not bad. And today his chin is dirty. I think he might b having diareah. He is breathing odd too. Quick breaths, looks like he might be struggling. I love him to...

Crusty eyes [ 4 Answers ]

My girlfriend decided that it was a good idea to clean the eye boogies off one of our kittens. Whoops I guess not because now one of the eyes seems to have gotten just a little crusty around the tear duct area. Should we be worried of the eye being infected or is this something normal that occurs &...

CLYMIDIA in kittens eyes [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, should I treat both kitten's eyes to prevent cross contamination? (I have two, one with it in one eye, and one without it) One is currently being treated with topical antibiotic without steroids. I nearly blinded one kitten with using another cat's eye med. Which contained steroids.

Kittens eyes [ 3 Answers ]

Hello,I have four 11 day old kittens they have all opened their eyes,can they actually see now or are they still blind?. thankyou.teresa.

View more questions Search