Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dakotakennedy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2005, 06:11 PM
    Safe to patch with electrical tape?
    We had a mouse underneath our kitchen sink who ate through one side of the wire from the dishwasher power line. The wire is exposed, but again just one of them. I've unplugged the dishwasher for now. To pull out the dishwasher and replace the whole power line would be a big undertaking. Is it safe to just cover the exposed line with electrical tape? Or do we need to replace the whole thing?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2005, 07:46 PM
    If it is back in an area where it won't be disturbed much, I would do it. You might even reroute it keeping it back against the wall even nailing it in place with staples meant to hold electrical wires. Even less of a problem if it was the white neutral.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2005, 12:29 PM
    Sounds as if the mouse ate through a cord, which plugs in for the dishwasher, since you say you have unplugged this.

Replacing this cord does not require the DW to be removed.There is a smaller finish panel on the front, below the door. Below that is the kickplate. Find the screws that hold on the kickplate to the DW, and sometimes there are screws holding the finish panel onto the kickplate or the frame of the DW. Once you have these two plates off you will see the wiring junction box at the front underneath the DW. Usually one screw removes the cover and you will find the cord splcied onto the machines black and white input wires. The ground may splice onto a green wire, or there may be a green screw insdie the junction box.

Taping the damage should be OK for a temporary fix, but replacing the cord is more appropriate. Be sure to use #12-3 cord.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rocky patch after 11 years [ 31 Answers ]

I am in a mess, and need some advice. My wife and I have been together for 11 years. She recently told me she does not have "those" feelings for me anymore. I was shocked and heartbroke. She claims I was the perfect husband and father and it has nothing to do with me and that she is not seeing...

Bad Tape Job [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a chance to by a fixer upper and noticed that the dry wall joints had been badly taped and could be seen through the paint and/or falling off all together. What is the best way to handle this?

Orgianal cabbage patch dolls [ 6 Answers ]

My dad has a large collection of cabbage patch dolls he would now like to sell. Anyone have any contacts or ideas of how to sell any or all of them?

Security patch ? [ 1 Answers ]

What is a security patch and what is a patch manager? :)

Recording a cassette tape... [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a way to record a cassette tape onto the computer and then putting that recorded song on a blank cd via cd-burner? Thanks

View more questions Search