Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beagle_owner Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2005, 09:40 PM
    My beagle has parvo
    Well I've had a few post in here about my beagles bad habits... and I have not had to ask questions reason being my beagle (molly) has made a huge improvement... she has become such a good puppy... but anyway I've been noticing her stool to be slimmy and mucusy... and her throwing up... so I just thought it was from her eating grass and eating bugs... welll I got worried when I noticed her not eating or drinking and a great deal of weight loss in just 2 days... so I decided to take her to a vet... but its memorial day weekend... vets are closed... so I took her to a emergency clinic... after hours of waiting like a human ER... they asked us questions on her symptoms... they wrote us an estimate... $734!. I offered to give the injections myself after a test for parvo which came back positive... which devastated me by the way... but the fluids I have to give her are insane... 100 cc's of something... which swells her up like a camels back... but its nerve racking of the uncertainty of her survival... no one has to post a reply I guess I'm venting my stress and anger from my stupidity of putting my dogs life on the line... but anyway I hope I don't have to change my name to ex_beagle_owner... but if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreicate them
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 30, 2005, 12:33 AM
    I am very sorry to hear that. This can happen to even dogs up to date on their shots. It is a virus, there is no cure. All a vet can do is give intravenous fluids and hope the dog stays alive until its body can win the battle. Many times, the dog dies and the bill is still horrendous. All you can do yourself, it pick up the same stuff they give babies, Pedilyte? and get as much fluid into them as you can.

If when you read this, you are up to reading more about this wretched disease, see http://www.pressenter.com/~dvmvis/canparvo.htm.

All dog lovers will hurt with you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to get dog to eat after Parvo [ 4 Answers ]

My dog was diagosed with Parvo one week ago. I took him to the emergency clinic for the weekend. Then on to the vet that Monday. He stayed on IV fluid and twenty kabillion blood tests to keep track of different things. Diag on Sat and started trying to drink on his own Tuesday morning. (Good...

After parvo 2 [ 2 Answers ]

Last night was the first night of barney in the house (after being in the hospital for 4 days), during the night he kept having diahrrea and vomiting(after drinking water and pediliate), his poop was brown like chocolate, we don't know if it was from the pediliate that is a grape flavor and...

After parvo [ 1 Answers ]

My dog was diagnosted with parvo last Friday (6 days ago), he stayed in the clinic for 4 days, the vet was giving him IV, and some kind of antibiotic, I went to pick him up today(wednesday) he hadn't thrown up since Monday morning, when we were coming from the vet he threw up a little bit, and then...

Parvo Puppy [ 9 Answers ]

My Mom purchased a Yorkie-Poo puppy on Friday April 7th, from a local Breeder. She took him to the vet Monday the 10th and he was given a Clean bill of health, although the Vet was not pleased with the Paperwork provided by the breeder (regarding shots given). On Wed. April 12th, my Mom...

Lab mix has parvo [ 13 Answers ]

I just adopted a lab mix puppy (about 10-12wks. Old) from our local animal control on Fri. 1/28/06. As soon as we got him we took him down to the vet and he received his vaccinations and deworming. On Friday night he had diaharrea which we thought was due to the deworming. By Sunday he just wanted...

View more questions Search