Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Natu_36 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2007, 11:41 AM
    Child Custody and the New Boyfriend
    Need advice, help!!

I have been separated from by boyfriend for 1.5 years. We have a 4 year old daughter who lives with me. She visits him now, every other weekend and has dinner with him randomly during the week. We have not gone to court to set up any legal documentation of this. I'm considering filing for Sole legal and Physical custody with the visitation rights remaining the same. Some people have advised me to do so. We have a OK relationship and he's fit to look after her (even though he's had his downfalls)

While researching on line I came across this site that says that If we aren't married, I have those Sole rights immediately. So I wouldn't need to file..

Another issue is that my new boyfriend will be moving in in the next month or so. Both men have met and have accepted each other. My daughter loves my new boyfriend and so does he.

What can my Ex-boyfriend legally do if he's not happy with my new boyfriend moving in? Can he file himself to get custody of our daughter?

Thanks...
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Jun 4, 2007, 11:51 AM
    You really should get something formal in place to avoid any problems and disagreements later... this will also set his child support payments according to your state formula. If you are in agreement about visitation and custidy issues, it shouldn't be a dramatic process.
    Jdkodiak Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jul 18, 2007, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Natu_36
    Need advice, help!!!

I have been separated from by boyfriend for 1.5 years. We have a 4 year old daughter who lives with me. She visits him now, every other weekend and has dinner with him randomly during the week. We have not gone to court to set up any legal documentation of this. I'm considering filing for Sole legal and Physical custody with the visitation rights remaining the same. Some people have advised me to do so. We have a ok relationship and he's fit to look after her (even though he's had his downfalls)

While researching on line I came across this site that says that If we aren't married, I have those Sole rights immediately. So I wouldn't need to file...?

Another issue is that my new boyfriend will be moving in in the next month or so. Both men have met and have accepted each other. My daughter loves my new boyfriend and so does he.

What can my Ex-boyfriend legally do if he's not happy with my new boyfriend moving in? can he file himself to get custody of our daughter?

Thanks...
    I am in about the same situation as you are. Could you please give me the address of the website that said since you are a single mom and never married that you could get sole custody? Thank you
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 18, 2007, 03:11 PM
    You need to file, while to have rights, he would have to have a DNA test done, but he could decide to file first anytime he wanted.

Also you should and need to be getting your child support, which would also be court ordered.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jul 18, 2007, 11:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    You need to file, while to have rights, he would have to have a DNA test done, but he could decide to file first anytime he wanted.

also you should and need to be getting your child support, which would also be court ordered.
    DNA tests are mandatory in contested cases ONLY!!
    Natu_36 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2007, 07:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdkodiak
    I am in about the same situation as you are. Could you please give me the address of the website that said since you are a single mom and never married that you could get sole custody? Thank you
    Hi, I live in Mass.. your state might have different rules...
    ;)

http://www.masslegalhelp.org/childre...and-visitation

If I haven't been to court, who has custody of the children?
    When the parents are married to each other, both parents share legal and physical custody of the children unless and until a court orders otherwise. When the parents are not married to each other, the mother has sole legal and physical custody unless and until a court orders otherwise. This is so even if the father has formally acknowledged paternity.

10. I live with the father of my child. We've never been to court, but he's on the birth certificate of our child. We never signed any acknowledgment forms. If we split up, who has custody?
    You do, but note the following:
    The law presumes that the mother has custody of the children where the parents are not and were not married to each other. "Presumes" just means that he has to go to court and try to get a court order if he wants to take custody away from you.
    The law about acknowledgments changed in 1994, so you might not have been given the choice of signing a form at the hospital. In your case, the father of your children is only the "presumed" father--he needs to file an acknowledgment signed by you both or else take you to court if he wants to be legally declared to be your children's father.
    The important thing to understand is that even if you have custody now, custody can change. He can go to court and try to take custody from you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support and Child Custody [ 7 Answers ]

I was wondering If child support and child custody are the same. I have a six year old daughter and I want to see her badly but her mother is holding child support over my head. I'm not saying she shouldn't but I have given her money on many occasions and for a year consitantly. Yet she refuses to...

Father seeking child custody of an unborn child [ 8 Answers ]

How can I get partial custody to my unborn child? The mother refusing to name me as the father. I know I can file after the baby is born, but I want to be there for the birth of my child.

My ex-boyfriend wants custody of our son? [ 6 Answers ]

I need to know if my ex-boyfriend who is the father to my one year old son is entitled to custody considering he has never paid any thing for our son?

Child custody of an unborn child [ 2 Answers ]

My question is concerning my sister, she moved to this state I live in now, only a year ago,to live with me, she got pregnant by some guy she was seeing, when he started beating her up she left him,(she was only 2 months pregnant at this time) now she's 7 months pregnant and we are moving back...

View more questions Search