Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    echogarcia Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2007, 10:00 AM
    Sudden Hissing at 2nd Cat
    My 12yr old indoor cat has suddenly started hissing at my 10yr old indoor cat. They have been together for 10yrs. The 12yr old just had a full exam at the Vet and all tests came back perfectly healthy. I did just move to a new apartment about 1 month ago - about the time the hissing started. They both seem to have adjusted and enjoy the new place. Could they still be adjusting and stressed out about the move?
    HSK Posts: 45, Reputation: 9

Jun 4, 2007, 10:10 AM
    It is possible that the 12yr old is still adjusting to the move. Did the prior tenant have a cat or another animal? It could be a strange smell is confusing the 12yr old. The 10yr old could also be sick. If it does not get better, or worse in the next week, you might want to take the 10yr old in for a check up too. You could also try felaway (sp?). It is a cat phermone that you plug into a wall outlet that will make kitty feel more relaxed. If you are on a lower floor, it could also be that the 12yr old is seeing other cats outside and is getting confused. The felaway could help with that too.
    echogarcia Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2007, 10:20 AM
    You are brilliant! Yes, the former tenant had a cat and I know there is a cat across the hallway from me. Most of the hissing seems to happen in the room that the former tenant had kept her litter box so that makes so much sense. Although everything has been swept and washed, I'm sure there is still a lingering scent. I am on the second floor and there are a lot of dogs as well as some outdoor cats that I have seen running around. I will definitely go buy the Felaway. Thank you so much for your advice! Yes, the 10yr old in scheduled for a checkup too :)
    HSK Posts: 45, Reputation: 9

Jun 4, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Glad to be of some help. I am no expert, but have had cats since I was younger. I currently have 5 of my own, so really it is just experience. If the felaway does not help anb/or if you want to rid the old cat box room of its smell, there is a product called Nature's Miracle. It has enzymes in it that eat up the organics that leave the smell behind.
    You could try using that on the carpet or area where the old box was. However, over time,
    Your cats smells should replace the old ones, and all should get back to normal. It might just take a little time. Also, the felaway plug in is about 25-35 dollars, so you might want to just try the spray version first. Spray in the AM and then again in the PM. If that does not work well, the plug in releases all day. Good Luck!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 12:57 PM
    Hsk maybe right when I moved a few yrs back my cat was 7 now 11 he acted the same way except then we only had a dog. He would see the strange neighboorhood cats and go insane... he would try and attack anything that moved We had to keep the windows closed and keep him from sitting in them this was very hard as he is an indoor car. Our old street only had 1 other cat and he was 22, so not very much competetion there. But my old kitty has adjusted since I have a bigger home I bring it all kinds of stray's and he mostly accepts them now and seems happier. Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Another cat added to house with a cat. Resident cat not happy. [ 8 Answers ]

Please would you kindly advise us on how we can help our cats get along together? My sister and I are proud owners of two adorable cats: my sister’s cat is a feisty female, 4 year old rescue cat long haired tortoise-shell, named Duchess. My cat is an 11 year old British Shorthair lilac male...

Nursing cat with sudden very stiff legs [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I'm very worried about my cat. She is a two year old and she had a litter of kittens one month ago. Everything has been fine. Last night she threw up. It smelled up the whole house but I couldn't find it. It still smells three hours later. This morning she is stiff legged. She's not...

Hissing kittens [ 4 Answers ]

We have just added two twelve week old ragdoll kittens to our family. They are socialized and are fine with everyone except out 9 year old kelpie/cross. She is okay with them but won't look directly at them as they hiss every time she is about. What can we do to help them bond with her.

Hissing! [ 2 Answers ]

One of my cats has been very calm and easy going for the first two years of his life and now, all of a sudden, he has started to hiss at us. It seemed to start as a game he was playing. We would be walking and he would jump in front of us and hiss. Now he has started hissing all the time. When we...

Hissing cat! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I posted the thread on here titled 2 cats, this is an update to that thread. The mother cat is still hissing at her 6 month old female offspring, though it is now more frequent and aggressive, she refuses to let sachi(kitten) near her, she just displays her fangs and hisses really loud or just...

View more questions Search