Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Craddock Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2007, 10:13 AM
    Removing Brass pipe from Cast Iron

Hi, I'm trying to remove a brass pipe from a cast iron floor drain in the basement. The pipe is part of a backwater floater ball unit. I removed the brass cleanout plug with a crescent wrench without any problem so I think if I had the right tool that this should come out easily as well. My ultimate goal is to make it a shower drain. I have already tried liquid wrench with a hammer and screw driver in the groves but I can't seem to get enough leverage.

Thank you for your help, Craddock
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 2, 2007, 11:07 AM
    What grooves? In the brass pipe? This brass pipe is threaded in the floor drain? I think the correct tool would be a 14 or 18" pipe wrench. If it's secured with anything else click on back. Regards, Tom

Jun 2, 2007, 11:29 AM
    Can you see in the picture above my question, there is a brass fitting with 4 knotches. I tried puttting a screw driver in one and then hammering the end to get the brass to move, tbut this was unsuccessful. A won't work because the 4 inch depth to get to the fitting. Thank you for your quick response. If you can't see the picture let me know and I will try to reload it.

Jun 2, 2007, 11:44 AM

This is it.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 2, 2007, 12:07 PM
    I see the picture, Thanks! If this were in myhouse I would get a strainer for the floor drain and use it for my shower base. We had one like it in the house I grew up in. If you want to install a regular shower base and drain I w3ould just take a heavy hammer and bust out the floor drain back to the drain pipe.
    You're going to hafta install a trap and raiser for the shower any how. Good luck, Tom

Jun 2, 2007, 12:17 PM
    Thanks, glad you can see it. I thought of doing just that but I thought a fiberglass base would be easier than having to tile. It drains great "as is" now so would I really need to bust it out? Can't I just add a 2 inch pvc pipe from where that brass fitting is and connect to the fiberglass base. This floor drain has a narrow P trap.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 2, 2007, 12:34 PM
    Let's assume that the brass fitting's threaded in. I would soak around the threads with WD40 and take a long chisel and use it like a impact driver. If that fails I would take a sharp chisel and chisel that sucker out of the threaded opening. Good luck, Tom

Jun 2, 2007, 12:46 PM
    Yes, it is threaded in. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for all the quick responses. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jun 4, 2007, 09:07 AM
    Speedball1, my attempts to remove the threaded fitting were unsuccessful. I'm going to use your idea; put a strainer over it and use it. I'll just tile over the concrete floor for my shower base. Thanks again, Holly

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pvc and cast iron pipe [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to remove pvc threaded coupling from rusted cast iron pipe? Want to be able to reinstall new pvc coupling in cast iron pipe. Thanks in advanced.

Removing cast iron / lead joints [ 4 Answers ]

Hi; I have a vertical 2 inch cast iron vent pipe that I need to remove to install a medicine cabinet. I have cut it in one spot with a sawzall, but there is also a joint in it where I would like to separate it. The joint appears to be poured with lead. If I heat it with a propane torch to get it...

Cast iron soil pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I would appreciate very much if someone could clarify some questions I have on oakum/lead joints I have 3 horizontal hub and spigot joints to repair on 4" cast iron sewer pipe. The pipe itself is @ 5 years old. I would like to know if this is the correct way to solve this problem... ...

Removing galv fitting from cast iron pipe [ 4 Answers ]

What is the best way to remove a threaded stuck lead fitting from a cast iron section? The fitting was from a lead sink drain pipe and it connected to the cast pipe at the toilet elbow. I tried a pipe wrench and a hammer to try to budge it but no go. I want to thread new PVC into the section of...

View more questions Search