Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Schiff Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 08:22 PM
    Failure to leave at end of lease
    I have 2 tenants whose lease was up at 12 noon today. They did not clean all their belongings out, finish cleaning the house, nor turn in their keys. What am I legally allowed to do to get their stuff out and the house in order for the new tenants who are scheduled to take over tomorrow? House is in state of Maine.

Thank you.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2007, 09:36 PM
    In Ohio you would have to give them a 3 day notice to vacate property this must be hand delivered. If they have not left you after 3 days you must go to the clerk of courts and file eviction papers... then a sheriff will deliver them to the tenants and you should be given a day to appear in court... probably within 30 days. Then the judge may give them another 30 depending on their situation
    1badchoice Posts: 227, Reputation: 45

May 31, 2007, 09:53 PM
    If there is a reasonable assumption that they have moved and just left things they don't want... you don't have the same responsibility. I would say you just have to clean things out yourself... store anything that might be of value, change the locks. You have no way to contact them in this type situation. Cathy
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2007, 10:00 PM
    Sorry I just reread your post... I think I missed the point... they have agreed to leave because ttheir lease was up... they just failed to clean their stuff up... so you would do it for them... if they have or seemed to vacate the property then I would set the left stuff out for the trash collector. If my keys were not left behind, I would get new locks.if your lease states that the house had to be left the same as when they moved in... and if it wasn't there would be fees... then you can take them to court to collect... now you've opened a whole new can of worms... better get pictures or videos
    Schiff Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 11:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    sorry i just reread ur post...i think i missed the point...they have agreed to leave because ttheir lease was up...they just failed to clean their stuff up...so you would do it for them...if they have or seemed to vacate the property then I would set the left stuff out for the trash collector. If my keys were not left behind, I would get new locks.if your lease states that the house had to be left the same as when they moved in...and if it wasn't there would be fees...then you can take them to court to collect...now you've opened a whole new can of worms...better get pictures or videos

They knew their lease was up but did not move all of their stuff out on time. They still have things in the house, and never finished cleaning up--ie. Frig still full and dirty, things still in bedrooms.

How much is charged per day and do I have the right to remove the remainder of the contents so the new tenants can officially move in or do I have to go through the courts first?

Thanks.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2007, 06:14 AM
    Hello Schiff:

We have to back up here a little bit. You say they "knew" their lease was up, but did they give you written notice?? Did you give them written notice??

If no notice was given by either of you, they are still your tenants and you must evict them according to your states landlord tenant law. You can find a copy right here at the top of this forum on a sticky note.

In the meanwhile, you CAN'T remove their property and you CAN'T change the locks.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2007, 07:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Schiff
    They knew their lease was up but did not move all of their stuff out on time. They still have things in the house, and never finished cleaning up--ie. frig still full and dirty, things still in bedrooms.

How much is charged per day and do I have the right to remove the remainder of the contents so the new tenants can officially move in or do I have to go through the courts first?

Thanks.
    Ok I presume that they have moved on their way... They no longer occupy your property. They just left this behind because they were to lazy to take... in that case throw I would it out now. My lease would have covered such actions, as far as leaving ones mess for me or a cleaning company. And they would pay for that. But you will probably have to take them to small claims court to recoup that money... did you get a deposit... that is usually held until by the owner if the house has not been left as it was found. Minus general cleaning,painting etc.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2007, 07:40 AM
    Hello again, Schiff:

Both bushg and I have made presumptions because you haven't been clear.

If they've moved and the stuff you're talking about here is TRASH, follow bushg's advice. Throw it away and rent the place.

If, however, the stuff you're talking about is their BELONGINGS, like furniture, AND NO NOTICE WAS GIVEN BY EITHER OF YOU, you cannot presume they have moved and you may not remove their belongings until you evict them. You can sue them for the entire months rent in the process.

If you do other than that, and they sue you for their stuff, they'll win.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roommate never got on lease, now won't leave [ 15 Answers ]

I live in Berks county, PA. My roommate and I agreed to share an apt. beginning Oct. 2006. I signed lease but she needed co-signers to get on the lease and promised that she would. She has since then not gotten on the lease and has become an intolerable, irresponsible and violent roommate. I...

End stage renal failure [ 8 Answers ]

My mother has been sent home to die with end stage renal failure and cerebral atrophy. She has been on dialysis for 15 months and doctors tell us let her die in peace. I am having a hard time with this. Is there anything we can try before she leaves us. I can't face the alternative of her dying...

Is it expected to leave a tip for hotel staff at end of stay? [ 14 Answers ]

I've been here for 4 nights. They have those little cards that say "Your room was prepared for you by Monique". Is it still customary to leave a tip?

Ex Not On Rental Lease & Won't Leave [ 5 Answers ]

My daughter rented her 1st apartment here in Florida and moved her boyfriend in. It didn't work out he won't leave what can she or her landlord do to evict him legally and quickly? She doesn't want to leave she is the only one on the apartment lease and the utilities are in her name also. Help!! ...

End of lease [ 3 Answers ]

My son lives in New Jersey. The lease on his apartment was due to close in Sept 2005. He was in the process of buying a home and needed to stay one month past his lease. He spoke with property management about the situation on more than one occasion. He was requesting a month-to-month...

View more questions Search