Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rupnick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 08:44 AM
    Are email commitments to lease binding if the lease has not been signed?
    We have 2 emails from a rentor stating that they will take the property for the summer (like they have for the last 3 years) and that they are putting the lease and the check for the total rent amount in the mail. We then received an email saying they changed their minds. We never received the signed lease. It is too late in the season to expect to be able to re-rent the shore property. Are the emails binding in NJ the absense of the signed lease? thank you
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 31, 2007, 08:46 AM
    I don't see how e mails can be binding when they don't carry an original signature. You haven't got a signed lease or the money, so I guess they are off the hook.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Never signed lease. Behind on rent. [ 6 Answers ]

Never signed lease on current apartment. Current apartment #10 wasn't available when I moved. Landlord gave me smaller apartment #5 (I did sign lease on #5) & I then moved into #10 a month later. (He just handed over keys to #10). Due to a whole different mess, my checks to landlord didn't go...

Unsigned lease, but verbal commitment - legally binding? [ 7 Answers ]

I recently leased a large commercial space in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, but have not yet signed the lease. I have paid 2 months rent as a deposit, and was given 3 months rent free to do renovations. I am now in my first week of business, and things are very slow. What I need to know is, am I...

Lease not signed by both guarantors [ 1 Answers ]

My son signed a lease that required 2 guarantors. The lease lists all 3 parties names, but only 1 guarantor signed the lease. When I signed the lease as 1 of the guarantors I was told I would get a copy of the lease when the other guarantor signed it. The other guarantor never signed the lease...

Is my lease still legally binding? [ 2 Answers ]

As of June 1 2006, my 1 year lease was up and I was to continue my rental agreement with a month to month lease following he fullfilment of this one year lease. As of July 1 2006 the rental property was taken over by a new property owner. I never signed any lease agreement with this new owner...

Getting out of a co-signed lease [ 2 Answers ]

About 5 years ago I lived with a friend of mine and we signed a year lease for an apartment. We were only there for a couple of months before she accidentally got pregnant and we could no longer live there. She assured me that she would take care of the penalty fee for breaking the lease but when...

View more questions Search