Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kattygirl Posts: 131, Reputation: 3

May 31, 2007, 06:52 AM
    I am thinking of adopting another dachshund
    My husband and I have been thinking of adopting another dachshund. While looking on petfinder one of my friends mentioned to me that you never ever place 2 neutered males together or 2 spayed females together you always go male to female. Is that true? And we haven't fixed Z yet since he has never been aggressive or sprayed his scent so will it really matter if we get another boy dog?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2007, 07:00 AM
    My sister has 2 daschund males one is 14 the other 3 years old.. she never had them neutered... although I think it is better for the dogs... prostate cancer... over breeding... aggression.. but her dogs get along just fine. Hope this helps
    paganheart71 Posts: 27, Reputation: 4

May 31, 2007, 07:01 AM
    It really depends on the age differents. One might want to dominate. If you get them fixed I'd do it at the same time. They should get along if there isn't a female living there.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2007, 07:06 AM
    You should be OK as long as they are both neutered. But, you need to assert yourself as pack leader, then you won't have to worry about them fighting to establish dominenance.
    tiffandsam14 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

May 31, 2007, 07:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kattygirl
    My husband and i have been thinking of adopting another dachshund. While looking on petfinder one of my friends mentioned to me that you never ever place 2 neutered males together or 2 spayed females together you always go male to female. Is that true? And we haven't fixed Z yet since he has never been aggresive or sprayed his scent so will it really matter if we get another boy dog?
    No. It should not really matter that much. If Z starts to act aggressive, then maybe you should consider getting Z fixed.
    Topperthedog Posts: 17, Reputation: 7

May 31, 2007, 07:52 AM
    The very general rule is that a male/female pair will do better than a same sex pair because obviously the potential for same sex aggression is reduced.

Generally speaking, unless you have a breed that has a strong tendency toward same sex aggression or a dog that is on the very dominant side, the problem of same sex aggression is relatively small compared to other potential problems. However, if there are other potential behavior problems, it may aggrevate them to a greater degree than if the pair were different sexes - 'Dogs drool, Girls rule', that sort of thing.

In my experience the boys tend to rumble more than the girls, but usually sort it out amongst themselves. Girl fights can be quite nasty and re-homing one of the dogs sometimes is the only way to go.

I would probably let it be a guiding factor in my decision to get a dog, but not necessarily a deciding factor.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 31, 2007, 10:26 AM
    A gambler would take the male/female at even odds. The conventional wisdom is that female/female is most likely to result in insoluble problems and rehoming as mentioned. Spay/neutering helps getting along with other dogs along with many other problems. It is a no brainer.

If you just must have another male, as the breeder for a lower ranking member of the litter. If you get a blank look, run, don't walk away. We have a huge problem with totally clueless people breeding dogs.
    kattygirl Posts: 131, Reputation: 3

May 31, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Thanks all. And don't worry Labman I promise not to try breeding my pets. I barely know what to feed them let alone what to do with pups. I figure there are enough animals out there now so I never buy from breeders and only take in animals who have or are about to be abandoned. So far it has really just been cats but my first dog has went well and so I figure I will try it again.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2007, 11:18 AM
    Katty-

There are many Doxie rescue organizations on the net. Check them out if Petfinder does not work out for you.
    MrPippin Posts: 87, Reputation: 17
    -

Jun 1, 2007, 08:40 AM
    One simple but sometimes obvious thing to do is to take your current dog and introduce them to the dog you are thinking about adopting. I did this when I adopted my Roti (a Katrina Rescue). I asked that I be allowed to put my female lab/husky in with her before I committed to adopting her. They started playing and haven't stopped yet. I had more trouble intrducing my German Shepard into the pack as he is fine until challenged by another dog. But dog packs pretty quickly establish every dogs position in the pack and as long as a dog stays in its position harmony exist. It is when another member of the pack challenges for control that problems occur. This could be a problem with two evenly matched doxies. If one can not establish a clear and decisive leadership position then challenges may continue and this can result in a lot of trips to the vet for stitches.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Adopting From Europe [ 1 Answers ]

Me and my Fiancé plan to adopt down the road (in approx. 5 years) after we have two children of our own first. We are planning to adopt from Ukraine or Russia. I know how horrible situations are down there, plus that is where my family came from so it just hits close to home for me. My questions is...

Adopting a stepson [ 1 Answers ]

I am wondering how to approch the adoption of my son gregory. My husband now has been in Gregs life since He was 2. My son now will be 12 feb. 21st. Which is old enough to know what he wants. See his biological father has not been in the picture for awhile. He was in and out a few times. But it has...

How to go about adopting... [ 3 Answers ]

Where do you begin to adopt a child? What is the best route? My life partner & I want a baby to love. We are not legally "partners"/ or married as of yet. Should I go about this as single before we legalize? I don't know legally how we can go about this, what the laws are in Fla. In a...

About adopting another cat [ 5 Answers ]

Hi guys, For a couple of weeks now, my in-laws have noticed a big male cat ( not neutered yet ) running free in their neighborhood. They asked if the cat belonged to somebody. Nobody had seen that cat in the neighborhood before. They started feeding him : this cat is very affectionate. My...

Looking into adopting [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my soon to be husband and I have been looking into adopting a child/newborn with down syndrome has anyone done this or have a child with downs we are just starting to look into this we would like to adopt after we get married! We both have a lot of expereince working with children youth etc with...

View more questions Search