Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WizeGuy33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 05:03 AM
    Water is always hot when I turn on the faucet.
    I'm used to living in places where the water in the pipes is always cold. In my current home, the water in the pipes is always hot. I have to literally turn on the cold water and let the hot water run out.

Does anyone know what causes this? I'm concerned that I'm losing quite a bit of energy and making my hot water heater work overtime because it's constantly heating these pipes.

Thanks for any help!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 31, 2007, 05:13 AM
    I live where there is "Cap Rock" Solid rock, that makes it difficult to dig. When we bought our house, we had Hot or Warm coming out of the cold, Rented a trencher for a day, Then chipping hammer in spare time, for 2 weeks, Got it to about 10" deep. That is deep in solid rock.
    We now have cold out of the cold. I see why previous owner didn't do it.
    Don't know if something like that, or ran through Attic?
    Glorious7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2007, 08:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by WizeGuy33
    I'm used to living in places where the water in the pipes is always cold. In my current home, the water in the pipes is always hot. I have to literally turn on the cold water and let the hot water run out.

Does anyone know what causes this? I'm concerned that I'm loosing quite a bit of energy and making my hot water heater work overtime because it's constantly heating these pipes.

Thanks for any help!
    I had a problem like that and a plumber told me that the hot water and cold water needs a valve that mixes the water so it keeps it from getting too hot. You can get the part at Home Depot for about 6.00 and ask them what it is. They know what it is just by the description.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Water when I turn on bathtub/shower faucet [ 7 Answers ]

I have not used the tub/shower faucet in some time. Today when I went to turn on the faucet, no water comes out. Help

Turn off hot water? [ 6 Answers ]

I am trying to replace a tap but have turned the hot water feed pipe off at the valve But it still comes out. Can someone please advise me how I can stop my hot water (ideally without having to drain the whole immersion tank). Thanks

Mildew smelling water when I first turn on faucet [ 4 Answers ]

I have been in my house about a year and a half. It was built in 2005. We noticed after the first month, that the water smelled like mildew in our downstairs bathroom. If we let the water run for about 10-15 seconds, the smell would be gone. We thought it was kind of strange, but none of our...

No hot water from tub faucet; all others - very hot [ 2 Answers ]

Every hot water faucet in my house produces scalding hot water. EXCEPT the upstairs tub/shower. From that faucet we only get lukewarm water. Why? What should be replaced? bradsmithmm

Low hot water pressure from kichen faucet only- 1 handle faucet [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. My question is similar to one asked a few posts ago except this is a 1 handle faucet. I plan on maintaining the boiler from now on but I have to fix the flow problem first. I disconnected the hot water supply line to the faucet and the pressure is excellent so I assume the problem is in the...

View more questions Search