Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    okfarmer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2007, 08:51 PM
    93 suburban stalls after 10-15 minutes idling.
    93 suburban stalls after idling for 10 or 15 minutes. It acts just like the fuel pump stops, but I have fuel at the throttle body and the fuel pump runs and cycles like it is supposed to. I replaced the fuel pump and the fuel pump relay just in case, but the intermittent problem of it just stopping is still there.

I also replaced the Idle Air Control valve (IAC). When it starts it idles and runs great, doesn't surge, miss, or anything; then without any warning or indication it just stops. I have cracked the fuel line going into the throttle body and have good fuel pressure and flow, but it is like the two injectors just shut down. After it sets for quite some time, it starts right up and runs great, then, without warning, it just stops again. I am down to considering replacing the ECM, but I am not convinced that the ECM is the problem.

Any help with diagnosing this would be greatly appreciated.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 30, 2007, 07:30 AM
    I would replace the Ignition Control Module (igniter) and coil:

Zip Code Entry at PartsAmerica.com

Zip Code Entry at PartsAmerica.com

If you want, many AutoZone stores can test these componenets for free.

Sounds, to me, that the igniter may be breaking down under load, due to heat. Electron migration is a big factor causing these components to fail.
    hiperf402 Posts: 106, Reputation: -1

May 31, 2007, 07:28 PM
    Check and make sure the coolant temp sensor isn't reading engine to be cold and still enriching.
    okfarmer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 08:00 PM
    Thanks for the great answers, I took your advice and replaced the ignition control module and the pickup coil and it has been running since then. It is however almost stalling every 5 to 10 seconds when stopped with the tranny in gear (like at a red light). It sort of cycles every 5 - 10 while stopped where it idles at about 800 - 900 rpm, then drops to 300 - 400 rpm for a second or two and almost dies. It does this over and over but if I shift into neutral the cycling stops.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

May 31, 2007, 08:20 PM
    I've seen a partially stuck torque converter cause a slow load-up and slowly decay the idle until stall occures. Try bumping the trans selector into neutral during the event and let us know what happens. Good luck!
    Cheyanne03 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jun 5, 2007, 10:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by okfarmer
    93 suburban stalls after idling for 10 or 15 minutes. It acts just like the fuel pump stops, but I have fuel at the throttle body and the fuel pump runs and cycles like it is supposed to. I went ahead and replaced the fuel pump and the fuel pump relay just incase, but the intermittent problem of it just stopping is still there.

I also replaced the Idle Air Control valve (IAC). When it starts it idles and runs great, doesn't surge, miss, or anything; then without any warning or indication it just stops. I have cracked the fuel line going into the throttle body and have good fuel pressure and flow, but it is like the two injectors just shut down. After it sets for quite some time, it starts right up and runs great, then, without warning, it just stops again. I am down to considering replacing the ECM, but I am not convinced that the ECM is the problem.

Any help with diagnosing this would be greatly appreciated.
    Sounds to me like your carburator is set too low on idle, if you would adjust it while the vehicle is running it should help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows Live Messenger not idling [ 5 Answers ]

I have my WLM set to automatically make my status 'Away' if I don't move the mouse for 2 minutes. It's worked up until now, and for some reason it's just stopped doing it.. it's rather annoying for reasons that are irrelevant. Anyone any ideas? I've checked it, and the necessary boxes are all...

No heat when idling [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4. When the truck is started no heat comes out even after 25 minutes. Heat will start only after driving but will stop if idling again. Anyone have any suggestions so I at least can have some knowledge before going to the garage? Thanks

WeedEater Rider stalls after 3-4 minutes [ 1 Answers ]

I have a weedeater rider with a tech engine. I spent $165.00 to get it tuned up back in May 2006. I used it about 15 times this year. Roughly 40 hours on it. The reason why I spent $165 to get it fixed was it kept on stalling after I ran it for 3 to 4 minutes. Well it's happening again. The...

View more questions Search