Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mk222 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2007, 02:52 PM
    QuitClaim Deed on House in favor of spouse
    Greetings:
    Our retirement nest egg is the equity on the house - we live in Illinois. My spouse don't work. I am self employed (no employees - but uses subcontractors). I can get sued if the subcontractors don't perform. I am not party to any litigation currently and no potential problems are in the horizon. If I quitclaim deed in favor of my spouse can the house be secure from any future judgements against me?

Can the judgement holder claim that the house should be available to satisfy the judgement since I am the one who is paying the mortgage and taxes, even after doing the quitclaim deed?

Can I use a standard quit claim deed form or does this have to be specially drawn up by a lawyer?

My spouse and I are both on the loan / title for the house. If I quitclaim, would the lender gets notified automatically? Would they object or force me to settle the mortgage loan and ask my spouse to re-apply?

Thanks
    MK222
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 29, 2007, 06:13 PM
    That normally would protect, but of course a judgement holder can try to prove any and everything if they want to. And it will be up to you and your attorney to prove why it is this way and why it was transferred.

Why do you not set your business up as a LLC or corporation to protect all of your personal assests?
    mk222 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2007, 08:32 PM
    Thank you Fr_Chuck
    My business is setup as an 'S' corporation. Even with an 'LLC', I was told that I could be sued (for auto accidents while the sub is on his way to the client site). I want to protect the home as much as possible and leave it for my spouse and children to enjoy.

Regards
    MK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quitclaim deed or grant deed? [ 2 Answers ]

Here is my problem... In order to buy my first home I had to have my mother put in her name because of my credit. I make all the payments in the two years I lived her and am ready to have the home in my name. What is the best way for us to do this??

Quitclaim Deed [ 3 Answers ]

I recently was married, and now would like to quitclaim half of my property to my new wife. I know, why would I ever do that! Well, because she will be quitclaiming half of her property to me! They are both condominiums, and we thought we could accomplish this without an attorney, as it seems...

Adding spouse name to house deed [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has a house that he is renting to tenants but he is still making mortgage payments and want to add my name to it what steps do I take to do take? Thank you, Mistyrita

Deleting name of recently died spouse on house deed [ 1 Answers ]

My husband recently paased away after a about with cancer. I was told to have his name removed from our house deed, which we jointly owned. Was just wondering how to go about this, like who to contact or go to for this process. Thanks for your help and god bless.

Quitclaim Deed [ 3 Answers ]

What do I need to do next after I have recorded a Quitclaim Deed through my County in order to sell my home? I received the property from my Mother who is deceased.

View more questions Search