Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Silverondo Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2007, 08:40 AM
    Too hot upstairs
    I have a 2-story condo, 1240 sf, almost 30 yrs old, with a newer heat pump that was serviced last year. The blower is downstairs and has a return intake of 18x18. Upstairs, directly above the unit there is another 12x24 intake that has no duct, just the space between the studs. I keep the filters clean. When I open the door to the little blower space, there is quite a bit of vacuum, which leads me to believe I need to add more return. Someone told me once that most all townhouse condos have inadequate return.
    My question is how much should I add (I'm thinking pick a common size filter-maybe 16x20) and better to put it upstairs or does it matter? The same ducts service both up and downstairs and we have already shut those vents off at the registers.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 29, 2007, 09:13 AM
    That vacuum in the blower box is supposed to be that way. When the door is closed that vac is what pulls the air through the returns. If your up stairs is too warm try partially blocking the lower return. It probably leads directly to the plenum and the upstairs return is common to use the stud space. Condos do frequently have poor circulation due to architects who try to get more space and less mechanical room.

May 29, 2007, 09:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverondo
    I have a 2-story condo, 1240 sf, almost 30 yrs old, with a newer heat pump that was serviced last year. The blower is downstairs and has a return intake of 18x18. Upstairs, directly above the unit there is another 12x24 intake that has no duct, just the space between the studs. I keep the filters clean. When I open the door to the little blower space, there is quite a bit of vacuum, which leads me to believe I need to add more return. Someone told me once that most all townhouse condos have inadequate return.
    My question is how much should I add (I'm thinking pick a common size filter-maybe 16x20) and better to put it upstairs or does it matter? The same ducts service both up and downstairs and we have already shut those vents off at the registers.
    Thanks. I understand, but when I open that door even a little, I get more airflow and it's much better/cooler upstairs. So it seems apparent to me that I should increase the filtered return airflow, and by your response, it should be upstairs rather than down. I had thought about putting one in the door to the blower compartment.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 29, 2007, 01:28 PM
    You could get a HVAC guy to measure the pressure in your supply and return and he could balance it for you. If expansion of any return is warranted it should be upstairs to pull more hot air out. If you cut open that door more air will be pulled from your lower level and even less from upstairs. Since hot air rises your problem will get worse.

Dec 28, 2007, 10:39 PM
    Well, I decided to add a return in the door to the downstairs 'closet' where my blower sits. I bought a 16x20 grill and installed it in July with no difficulty. The difference has been just short of amazing. We quickly began experiencing much cooler temps upstairs and all I did was give my blower more air to work with. I am one happy camper.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trickling Hot Water Upstairs [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had my kitchen remodelled in my 60+ yr old house. In the process, the contractor shut off the water from the basement so that my family had no water on the 1st floor (incl. Kitchen) and the 2nd fl. Bathroom. We were asked to use the bathroom in the basement for the time being, which...

No hot water upstairs [ 1 Answers ]

I just had my water heater replaced, and am getting hot water downstairs in the kitchen, but not in the bathroom upstairs. All I get is a very small stream of cold water coming from all the hot water taps. :confused:

Hot water downstairs but not upstairs [ 5 Answers ]

I'm not getting hot water upstairs but I am downstiars. If I switch the shower on the run the tap upstairs at the same time the water gets warm but not hot but downstairs its really hot water:confused:

Upstairs bathroom - no hot water [ 2 Answers ]

My upstairs bathroom is getting no hot water, either to the sink or the tub. The cold water works fine in the sink, tub, and toilet. The kitchen downstairs is fine, as is the bathroom more or less directly below the upstairs one. If I run the hot water downstairs, I can get a trickle of cold...

Need more hot water upstairs [ 4 Answers ]

I’m a new home owner and a novice at plumbing-related problems, so any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I live in a small, three-level home (including basement) with the water heater in the basement, kitchen on main level, and one (and only) bathroom located on the top level. My...

View more questions Search