Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pampam Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2007, 01:57 PM
    New puppy not eating or drinking
    We got a new 8 week old Malte-Poo Puppy yesterday, brought her home and she had plenty of energy, was eating, drinking, urinating and pooping regularly. Today however she still has plenty of energy but will not eat or drink. She has urinated 4 times and pooped 2 times. Should we be concerned? I have read a bit about adjustment on here and that this could be an issue. If people do think it is adjustment, at what point should we become concerned that it may not be adjustment. Any help would be appreciated.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 28, 2007, 07:19 PM
    I would be more concerned about the drinking than eating. Many puppies come from the breeder overweight and won't have a problem if they don't eat for several days. Try some crushed ice. If she still isn't drinking in the morning, call the vet. You will be seeing entirely too much of the vet the next couple months, so may as well start now. Depending when she had her last round of shots, it may be time for more soon. Not that any of my Labs ever were, but some new puppies are slow to eat.

Check the sticky starting at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802 It should be a big help getting her off to a good start.
    pampam Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2007, 10:10 PM
    Thank you for your help. She has actually started eating and drinking some so it looks like she is going to do o.k. We are taking her to the vet tomorrow anyway though just to make sure. We did give her some ice, which she was licking and appeared to like, so we may try more of that if she doesn't keep drinking sufficiently.
    kyla_212 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 08:52 PM
    Well I have a 7 week old Yorkie Poo puppy that I just got today and he has urinated but he hasn't pooped yet. He doesn't want to really eat or drink either. He also isn't very active. He just wants to sleep all the time. What should I do?
    LuvMyMaltipoo Posts: 281, Reputation: 39

May 31, 2007, 09:01 PM
    When I first got my Maltipoo she was the very same way (as both of the dogs mentioned her). I gave her some pedialite because she wans't drinking any water. Later I remembered how horrible our water here is so I tried giving her some bottled water and that is all she will drink now (PICKY, I know!). I also had to spend a lot of time with her at the beginning because she wasn't socialized very well, after she gained my trust is when she began eating. And they will sleep a lot at first, I blame it on stress. Don't worry yet though, my puppy didn't eat for the first 2 days I had her. Just try and watch to see if the pup is showing other symptoms because I'd hate to say its normal if you puppy might be sick.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 31, 2007, 09:20 PM
    Perhaps I have had too many greedy little Labs, but puppies that don't eat bother me. More so since I have counseled several people to wait, and then they have posted back a day or 2 later the puppy died of parvo. My vet only charges $35 for an office call, perhaps reflecting a solo practice in a small town. Unless he chows down in the morning, I think I would call a vet. Emergency treatments over the weekend are exorbitant but perhaps justified.
    pawsdogdaycare Posts: 92, Reputation: 5
    -

Jun 1, 2007, 04:30 AM
    3-4 days without food would raise my eyebrow to the situation.. but as labman pointed out dogs will routinely for go food when faced with a new environment or change in diet.. Again if you are worried about them taking in a lack of fluids.. I would go with the 50/50 water milk mixture to insure fluid intake... (and yes labman we have bantered this point in a previous post)... pawsdogdaycare
    DocWill Posts: 239, Reputation: 40

Jun 1, 2007, 05:24 AM
    2 thumbs down on the milk recipe. This is a puppy not a calf, very different dietary needs and no where close to the same GI track.I know its conflicting as I have presented it here, seems logical to do, but not all the cow parts fit inside the puppy parts. To keep the puppy hydrated, Begin to give small amounts of clear liquids (water, Gatorade, Pedialyte, or other electrolyte solution) frequently. A rule of thumb is to give 1 teaspoon per pound of body weight every 2 or 3 hours throughout the day and night.
    Keep in mind when we have any pet that doesn't eat, something isn't right. Could be simple stress or taste issues. To more health risk situations. Take him to the vet, he has to be dewormed anyway, an begin his schedule of life saving vaccines before that becomes a problem for the little pup. If your are well behaved Mr Owner you might get a people treat at discharge. Good Luck!
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2007, 05:42 AM
    I agree with DocWill. I always suggest when you take home a new pup to take a bottle or two of the water the breeder uses as well as a bag of the food the puppy was eating to ween it onto your water and food.

Cow milk is meant for cow babies. I do not even recommend it for adults. Have you ever seen an adult cow bending down for a drink off another cow. What a silly sight that would be!!
    MrPippin Posts: 87, Reputation: 17
    -

Jun 1, 2007, 06:00 AM
    Pure cows milk is not a good idea for puppies or adult dogs as many of them suffer from lactose intolerance. But my vet (who was also my dogs breeder) did recommend the 50/50 milk/water recipe for my Roti pup when she wouldn't eat right after coming home. He stressed that it needed to be a 50/50 mixture to insure she could tolerate it. I am not a vet and can only offer that he, a vet and a breeder recommended it.
    rachie Posts: 38, Reputation: 6

Jun 1, 2007, 06:01 AM
    Have you changed foods in the past few days? Has she received any vaccinations? Sometimes these things can cause a change in appetite. When in doubt, always call your vet.
    DocWill Posts: 239, Reputation: 40

Jun 1, 2007, 07:33 AM
    I hate to beat a dead horse for lack of better words. I also know my limited knowledge concerning internal medicine. Coincidentally I work at a very good vet university and have many disposable sources of specialty Vets. I trotted my happy bottom right on over to Internal Medicine for a chat on cows milk for puppies. Previous visits there have taught me donuts and cookies provide a more timely induced knowledge filled visit. It was very clear seconds into my question. I asked what advantages and disadvantages derive from anorexic puppies presented cows milk whole, and 50/50 water mix. Honestly both of them started laughing and spitting cookie crumbs at me before I finished the 50/50 portion of my question. With little doubt they don't advise cows milk without cows involved drinking it. Soon there after directing me to go back to surgery and reattach my brain. They didn't scare me I will ask other silly topics mainly to reassure my long term loss of short term memory is treatable. Just because I reattach dog parts back to there original location better than them basically has no value when I am on there turf talking about lactose intolerant animals and suggesting we feed them lactose filled fluids to promote better health. So that's what I found out for 3 cookies and 2 stale glazed donuts.
    MrPippin Posts: 87, Reputation: 17
    -

Jun 1, 2007, 07:55 AM
    As I said I will leave the vet stuff to the vets. I can not offer a educated opinion on this subject so I will not offer one. I only passed on that I had a vet/breeder recommend it. Perhaps he takes care of to many cows in his practice. But I can not disagree with you or your colleges. PLEASE ANYONE READING MY PREVIOUS POST DO NOT TAKE MY POST AS ADVICE OR AS DISAGREEING WITH THE VETS POSTING HERE! MrPippin Now as for those cookies...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My Dog Just Quit Eating and Drinking [ 4 Answers ]

I have an 11 month old pit bull male that I got a few weeks ago from a friend who couldn't keep him. He has been drinking and eating just fine until Sunday(7/24) when I was informed that he has not been eating or drinking the past few days. He isn't living with me at the moment but is over at a...

Is my puppy eating too much? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My 3 month old cocker spaniel (English) puppy, Phoenix, is about 4 kgs and we feed him 4 times a day. He eats 1 1/2 cups Pedigree puppy food and 1 cup minced beef/boiled chicken mixed in with a cup of rice and veg split into 4 meals. I worry he may not be eating enough because he gobbles his...

Dog is not eating or drinking but she's limping and once in awhile she whines. [ 3 Answers ]

My dog is a Chihuahua terrier mix, I thought she was shaking because most Chihuahua's do, but she started to shake even more, and the only thing she actually eats peanut butter, and she won't even drink anything, this happened to her before and the vet said if she didn't get better they'd put her...

Dog stroke-HELP not eating or drinking [ 1 Answers ]

I dog just had what the vet says is a stroke. I heard they will recover within weeks but at the moment she is not eating and taking water via a plastic syringe. Anyting we can do to help her dizzyness, tilted head and lack or appetite? Please help John

8 week old puppy not eating but drinking [ 1 Answers ]

I just brought home an 8 week old Scottish Terrier puppy from a very loving breeder. I'm not sure if he's just too young or what's going on. He ate the first night I brought him home and now he hasn't eaten in the past two days. He drinks plenty of water and is piddling but short of force...

View more questions Search