Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigsis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2007, 10:40 PM
    Are my parents liable for sister's boyfriends car accident
    My sister is 23, in college, and still on my parent's car insurance plan. She was letting her boyfriend drive her car and they totaled it. One of the passengers in the car was not wearing his seatbelt, was thrown from the car, and is injured very badly. There is no law in Iowa that says he had to have a seatbelt on since he was in the back seat. My parents have insurance on the car, but I am afraid this kids hospital bills will exceed the insurance. The driver of the car (my sister's boyfriend) does not have any insurance to help cover the expenses. Can the injured passenger come after my parents for their personal assets also despite the fact they had nothing to do with the car accident? Thanks
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 28, 2007, 12:07 AM
    OK I'm in the UK so I'm not sure how good this advice will be.
    In the event of an accident then THE DRIVER of the car is liable,
    In this case it was your sister's boyfriend, so he's in the firing line.
    It is up to him to arrange insurance cover on any car he drives and so he is completely liable for this.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 28, 2007, 02:55 AM
    Why haven't you talked to your insurance agent? They can tell you what the policy covers.

However, there is a likelihood that they can come after your parents if they owned the car. But only if they owned the car. In the US, many policies are written to cover authorized drivers only. So the insurance might not cover the boyfriend. However, if they were to be sued a jury would award damages on a percentage basis. So they are unlikely to be hit too hard.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car accident [ 16 Answers ]

Hello guys I just need some opinions as to whether or not I should be at fault OK... I was about to learn left on a 4-way intersection... I positioned my car approximately halfway through the middle of the intersection so that I could get myself ready once the oncoming traffic was cleared......

Who's liable for crimes committed using your 'former car' [ 2 Answers ]

My mother in law had a car that she took to a shop for repairs... It would cost $1000 to repair, more than the car was worth, so she decline to have it fixed (The car did not run at this point)... She gave the car to the repair shop. She cannot remember if she transferred the tittle, since this...

Car accident [ 4 Answers ]

I was in a car accident, it wasn't big the driver behind me rear ended me, there was no damage to my car or hers, and we did not exchange insurance or did not call police. We just exchanged phone numbers. But, now I want to know if she can go against me.

Car accident while friend is in the car [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question about what the case would be if I got into a car accident, mine or another drivers fault, with a friend in the car that is mine but in my Mother's name. I have been reading a little bit into insurance, I think I understand how it would work and come into play a little bit. What...

Car Accident [ 2 Answers ]

My Husband Was Involved In An Auto Accident In November 2004 - He Didn't See A Doctor Until December 2004 - Per The Insurance Company He Should Have Seen A Doctor Sooner - Is That Right? Once The Insurance Company Has The Case Open - How Long Does He Have To Settle?

View more questions Search