Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nippaero Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2007, 09:09 PM
    Older House may need GFI Outlets
    Hello,
    I am purchasing an older house (built in 1985). It does not have GFCI outlets and the inspection called this out. Is adding GFCI outlets as simple as replacing the outlet with a new one or is there re-wiring involved?
    TOOL_5150 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2007, 10:21 PM
    As long as there is a ground wire present in the box, you hook black to the brass screw, white to the silver screw and green/bare to the green screw. It is quite simple.

~Matt
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 27, 2007, 10:42 PM
    And, if the house was as recently as 1985, then you almost certainly have a three-wire system with which to work, at least if it was built in the United States.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 28, 2007, 05:35 AM
    When changing standard receptacles to ground fault receptacles, and the wiring is going from outlet to outlet,care must be used to note which set of wires in a box are live, and which are load, or feeding the next outlet in line.

If there are only one set of wires, black, white, and green or bare ground, then connecting is as simple as the previous answers. However, at most outlets you will find more than one set of wires or cables.

Each GFI outlet will have a set of terminals labeled Line and one set labeled Load. There will be one set of cables feeding the outlet. These must connect to Line on the GFI. If there are other wires continuing onto the next outlet, these may connect to Load, if you need the outlets downstream GFI protected.

The inspection report should have identified the areas that are now required to have GFI outlets, all kitchen counter outlets, bathrooms, outdoors, garages, and unfinished basements. Any outlet in these areas that are for stationary appliances, such as refrigerators, freezers, sump pumps, garage door openers, etc, do not need GFI protection.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 28, 2007, 07:19 AM
    Where I live, You have a New House.
    You may be able to install GFI's in Panel. Be careful installing on circuits sharing a neutral.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFI circuits for kitchen couter outlets [ 2 Answers ]

Is it acceptable by code to use GFI breakers in the main panel for kitchen counter outlets, or does each receptacle need to be an individual GFI outlet? I've got 10+ in my new kitchen. Putting in 2 GFI breakers would be much less expensive than 10 GFI receptacles.

GFI not working and affecting many other outlets [ 1 Answers ]

My home has a small portion of the basement that was finished prior to our purchase. I am led to believe that the wiring probably wasn't done by a professional. Upon inspection prior to purchase all was good, however, over the last several years I have had trouble with different unrelated outlets...

GFI outlets [ 1 Answers ]

We're looking to buy a house and the outlets in the 2 bathrooms do not appear to have GFI outlets. We were told by a friend that they could be tied to another circuit. Is this possible? Thanks, AJ

Outlets for GFI circuits - bath & kitchen [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - 2 questions: 1. I'm adding whirlpool bathtub as part of a remodel job. I've got 2 20amp dedicated lines, 1 for the pump, 1 for the heater. Each of these has to be on a GFCI breaker in the main panel, do I just use a regular receptacle under the tub enclosure, or is there a special...

GFI outlets [ 6 Answers ]

I have an older home with no GFI outlets. What is involved in installing them, and how many do I need? Thanks, Roca

View more questions Search