Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kinks Posts: 31, Reputation: 4

May 27, 2007, 04:15 PM
    Depression Medication
    Hey, I have depression at the moment, but none of my medication is doing anything and the fact I can't find one that does anything makes it worse.

So far I have tried

Citralopram 10mg then 20mg
    Sertraline 50mg then 100mg

Its really annoying me spending all this time on medications that don't do anything. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what medication does work or anything like that. I am cool to answer any questions which may help the answer.

Cheers
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2007, 04:21 PM
    Hi kinks,

Sorry you are having so much trouble with your meds, that can be depressing in and of itself.

The best thing you can do is SPEAK UP to your doctor. Let them know exactly what is going on.

Some anti-depressision meds take awhile to work. But instead of assuming that, call up the doc office and let them know how you currently are feeling. If they wish to switch your meds, ask if they could provide you with samples instead of you having to put money out for a new prescription.

The right med for you is out there, so don't loose hope. It's like shoes, you just have to get the right size.

Hang in there, but be sure and let your doctor know. Okay?

May 27, 2007, 04:24 PM
    I do, every time I say there is absolutely no effect at all and then it gets increased which I think is pointless because it has had no effect.

I don't really know about the meds much, but is there not like one medication generally used which is almost guaranteed to work?

I feel like an experiment
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2007, 04:39 PM
    Kinks,

I completely understand your frustration. Not sure how happy I am with them just uping your dosage. But perhaps that is what they do.

Are you happy with your doctor? If not, perhaps you may want to consider a different one.

I know you are looking for that majic pill that is the cure all and there is medicine that will work for you, but it is a matter of finding just the right one and sadly sometimes maybe we are an experiment.

Perhaps you could do some reading up on the meds on-line and when you find one that you think speaks to more of the symptoms that you are having, call your doctor up, ask for an appointment, and talk to him or her about it.

There are so many anti-depression meds on the market. One reason being is that one size does not fit all.

My doc just put me on a med. I took it for 6 days and felt awful, so I called and they have me on a different one. So far so good.

I know you want something more difinitive, but the best I can tell you, is continue to speak up, hopefully you have a good doctor, if not, the first thing you want to do, is research for a new one.

I sure wish I had better answers than this for you. But don't you dare loose hope. The answer is out there, and will be found, it will be just a matter of you communicating how you are doing to a very good and caring doctor.

Stick around and I know the others will pop in and help you along as well.

My very best to you,
    Allheart

May 27, 2007, 11:09 PM
    Thanks
    NWcatlady57 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2007, 12:24 AM
    Kinks,

I'm new to this site but definitely not new to depression. It can be a very frustrating journey, trying to find an effective medication for depression. There are many causes of depression and many types of depression. Sometimes trying to find a med that works takes time. Every individuals chemical makeup is unique and so there is no "one size fits all". Until it is determined which chemicals in you are not functioning properly or are not being received properly, you just have to go through the trials of different meds.

Depending on which class of anti-depressant you are given, some take more time than others to get a response. And adjusting dosages is common. Often a doctor will start you on a lower dose to see what your tolerance is before upping the dose to a therapeutic level.

It's critical that you keep your doctor informed of any and all side effects, even something that you may not be sure is relevant.

The very best thing you can do for yourself is have patience and RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH! The internet is our friend.
    brandy681 Posts: 295, Reputation: 26

May 29, 2007, 12:57 AM
    My mom has to stay on depression medication and she takes two kinds at the same time in order to feel a difference and she also sleeps much better now.. My cousin goes to the same doctor as my mom and he gives her the same medication as he does my mom but she only takes 1 and my mom takes 2 different kinds of medication. I will have to ask her the name of the medication for you! My cousin takes anti-depressents mostly because she doesn't sleep well and has physical pain with fybromayalgia, etc. but my mom takes it for depression.

My mom has tried dozens before she found one that actually worked for her and I think every pill works differently for everyone and you will have to find one that eventually works and stick to it and plus anti-deppressent medication can take about 2 months or longer of continual use for you to feel a difference. I think it took about a month for my mom to start to feel better and the longer you take it, the better benefit you will feel from it.

Have you tried St John's Wort? This is a natual anti-depressent and mood enhancer that you can buy at any health store and some department stores also. I have heard that a lot of people have tried it and it works well and you are suppose to be able to take it along with your prescription medication also. This is something that you may want to try along with a multi vitamin or night time vitamin that will help with seratonin in the brain which can sometimes be the cause of depression!
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

May 29, 2007, 01:12 AM
    Therapy is very important. Counseling is very important. Medicine is a quick fix usually and it is only a bandaid solution. There are some antidepression medicines that actually carry the warning that some of the side effects could be deeper depression and suicidal thoughts. So I would be very very careful with medication and try to get to what is the real cause for your depression or it will not truly be solved.

Joe
    sherry1975 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

May 29, 2007, 01:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kinks
    Hey, I have depression at the moment, but none of my medication is doing anything and the fact i can't find one that does anything makes it worse.

So far I have tried

citralopram 10mg then 20mg
    sertraline 50mg then 100mg

Its really annoying me spending all this time on medications that dont do anything. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what medication does work or anything like that. I am cool to answer any questions which may help the answer.

Cheers
    I was on a depression medication called Budeprion XL 300MG tablets as known as wellbutrim
    Mom of 2 Posts: 449, Reputation: 90

May 31, 2007, 08:20 AM
    I feel very qualified in answering this question because I had suffered from depression. There are a lot of accurate and correct answers on this thread.

First, only your doctor can prescribe the medication for you, so be very careful about asking other people about what medication works for you. Different medications work on different people. There is no "one" pill that will work on everyone. In regards to Wellbutrin (also known as zyban, I think), be very careful. This is an excellent depression medication as long as the person taking it does not have a history of seizures. I had a one-time "spacing out" when I was about 13 that could have been a transient seizure. I had MRI's, etc. but they could not find out why it happened. At any rate it never happened again and I never thought about it. Fast forward 20 some years later and I am taking Welbutrin. I was on it for a while and then one day, I was starting to feel a little funny after taking my pill. Come to find out that the stress that I was under cased me to have a seizure which was also exacerbated by Welbutrin. Ultimately, I was taken off Welbutrin. Therefore, if you have ever had any seizures, no matter how few, stay away from Welbutrin.

Again, taking medication for depression is only one piece to solving the puzzle that you live with. It is also about changes that you decide to make. The pill will not "make" you do anything like suddenly become organized, suddenly overcome shyness, suddenly be happy all of the time, etc. It is about you and taking ownership of what you make with your life everyday. Therapy is also needed when living with depression. Go to support groups. If you don't like something about your life, then do something to try and change it. Whatever medication that you are on will not suddenly give you the answers that you need to make a change. The answers are within you and only YOU can decide to make a change, not the pill. Good luck to you. Know that you are not alone and just keep doing something everyday to help improve your life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medication getting in the way? [ 8 Answers ]

I've been taking some anxiety medication and its been really hard for me to reach my peak in bed. Its getting very frustrating to my boyfriend & myself. Usually I enjoy sex more than my boyfriend, and am practically begging for it.. but lately I think I'm just having sex out of habit, I find my...

Depression Medication + Weight Loss Pill [ 8 Answers ]

Hello... I started taking a Fat Burning Enhancer called Lipo 6. The first couple of days of taking them went all right. I did however have the normal effects which is light headed and increase in heart rate along with sweating. I go to the gym and today it really effected me. I was working out like...

What is the name of this medication? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a small, rectangular shaped pill, light orange, with a v shape at the bottom. I was told it is a muscle relaxant. Thank you for your assistance.

Medication [ 2 Answers ]

What is chlorpheniramine maleate 12 mg

Medication [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering , according to Michigan law, can an intern prescribe meds?

View more questions Search