Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chaplain john Posts: 79, Reputation: 28

May 26, 2007, 09:31 PM
    I'm going to pay too much in taxes
    I have a 94 Nissan Sentra. The odometer shows 28 thousand miles but it sometimes quits working for anywhere from one to 150 miles. I know the former owner and am sure that the mileage is under 50 thousand. Anyway my problem is that I am in a profession where my mileage is tax deductible and with an odometer that undependable I am at a distinct disadvantage. The speedometer doesn't miss a beat it is only the odometer. Does anyone know of an aftermarket bolt on odometer similar to those used on 18 wheelers that I can get for the Nissan? Where can I get it also?
    billnj Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

May 27, 2007, 07:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chaplain john
    I have a 94 Nissan Sentra. The odometer shows 28 thousand miles but it sometimes quits working for anywhere from one to 150 miles. I know the former owner and am sure that the mileage is under 50 thousand. Anyway my problem is that I am in a profession where my mileage is tax deductible and with an odometer that undependable I am at a distinct disadvantage. The speedometer doesn't miss a beat it is only the odometer. Does anyone know of an aftermarket bolt on odometer similar to those used on 18 wheelers that I can get for the Nissan? Where can I get it also?
    I'm not sure of the item you are looking for... and I'm certainly not an expert in how the IRS may or may not approach your problem. However, when you file your tax return and deduct automobile business expenses you will need to put down the number of business miles you drove during that tax year. You will also be asked if you have written proof to support those miles. If I were you I would keep a daily log of the number of miles driven. With tools like mapquest it should not be a problem to come up with a good number of miles even for the days when your odometer has decided not work.
    cjcdallas Posts: 63, Reputation: 6

May 27, 2007, 08:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chaplain john
    Your best bet in my opinion is to just replace it. Given the fact you are in Calif there should be a reputable bone yard around there somewhere. They are not difficult to replace but it takes a little time. I had to replace mine on my 85 Sentra after 300K miles. Not too big a deal and you can look in a Hayne manual from the library to help you out.
    Basically you just drop the steering column and surrounding plastic and unscrew the dash console and swap them out...
    Good luck...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Don't forget to pay your taxes! [ 1 Answers ]

A little long, but a bit funny, and a lot sad but true: >> Tax his land, >> Tax his bed, >> Tax the table >> At which he's fed. >> >> Tax his tractor, >> Tax his mule, >> Teach him taxes

What taxes do I have to pay? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a licensed hairstylist and I pay booth rent in a salon(self employed). I reside in Kansas but I work in Missouri. I currently pay the 1% Mo earnings tax and I pay my estimated taxes to Mo. What other taxes am I susposed to be paying or, are those two taxes sufficient. Should I be paying some...

Do we have to pay taxes [ 1 Answers ]

My wife inherited 25 % of some property from her mother when she passed away in 1997, the property was sold last year her share was 29,000 dollars, do we have to pay capital gain taxes on the amount,thank you frank67

Do I need to pay NJ taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

I live and work in New Jersey. But my company is incorporated in Delaware and hence they withhold DE state tax and that is the only state tax withheld on my W2. I know I have to file DE non resident return but do I have to file a NJ return if there I have no NJ income? Please reply.

View more questions Search