Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pnscricket Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2007, 11:12 AM
    Intermitten air handler fan
    I have residential Janitrol electric heat pump that is approximately 13 years old. The air handler fan has stopped working around noon for the past four saturdays, allowing the inside coil to freeze over. Last week it also stopped on Tuesday.I can rotate the thermostat from cool,to heat,to emerg heat, to cool again and the fan will start and cycle like it should for another week. What is going on?
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Bad fan relay is my 1st guess (could be on a PC board). Thermal overload on motor would be my second.
    But wait there is more. Thermostat might have dirty contact not sending 24 volts to the air handler green stat wire, the unit was actually supposed to turn off and the condenser contactor welded closed and froze the coil. All I can think of right now.:)
    JackT Posts: 260, Reputation: 19

May 21, 2007, 05:41 PM
    If you leave the heat and cool switch OFF and put the fan switch to the ON position, will the blower stay on or will it go off after a while. If it stays on and doesn't go off, you probably have contactor problems. If it does go off, you probably have a bad fan motor that's over heating and going off on thermal overload.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air handler [ 4 Answers ]

My, carrier indoor air handler keep shorting out low voltage transformers. I've replaced 2 of them, the system will run for about 5 hrs. before it shorts out. ...

Water leak from air conditioner air handler [ 6 Answers ]

How do I stop water from dripping from my air handler? The technician has checked the pans, drains, and freon with no luck. He is stumped as to where the water is coming from.

Air handler [ 4 Answers ]

Our home inspection for the sale of our home specifies that "there is a small amount of growth starting on the paper located on the motor. Seller shall clean the paper and treat the unit with an anti microbial agent." Please tell me how to get into the air handler, and with what anti microbial...

Buzzing from air handler [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Hoping for info concerning a buzzing sound coming from air handler. We live in a high-rise building(24 floors). We are on a building wide system with air handlers in each room. Small bedroom unit has history about this time each year(last 5) that start buzzing. Past years maintenance would...

Lennox air handler fan always on after inspection [ 1 Answers ]

I just had my HVAC system inspected by a local contractor and after he left today (friday) the air handler is constantly blowing, whether the thermostat has fan set on "auto" or "on". The hander is a Lennox CB30M-65-1P connected to a heat pump, Lennox HP26-060-9P. I also tested each system state...

View more questions Search