Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AW805 Posts: 283, Reputation: 43

May 17, 2007, 09:53 PM
    Car brakes
    When I took my car into the dealership because the brakes were squeaking (they had just been replaced a few months prior by another mechanic's shop) I was told a cheap brand had been used that was causing the noise. Could this accurate?
    smokii Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2007, 10:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AW805
    When I took my car into the dealership because the brakes were squeaking (they had just been replaced a few months prior by another mechanic's shop) I was told a cheap brand had been used that was causing the noise. Could this accurate?
    It is fairly normal for brakes to squeak in this age... they have taken asbestos out of the pads and I think that contributes to the squeak. I've heard anything from the buildup of dust causing the squeak to the asbestos problem.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 17, 2007, 10:21 PM
    Absolutely, it happens everyday. It's best to stick with OEM brake pads and shoes--your life depends on it. Aftermarket pads and shoes are often compounded differently and are not required to meet federal specs. Many brake problems are due to people purchasing "budget" pads and shoes.
    AW805 Posts: 283, Reputation: 43

May 17, 2007, 10:52 PM
    Wow!

How do know what kind of brake pads you're getting?

Most people get the brakes checked when they begin to squeak. However, in this case they are already squeaking. I am suppose to just get them checked out every few months?
    jmfp702 Posts: 15, Reputation: 0

May 18, 2007, 02:59 AM
    Well I guess if you go to a brake shop unfortunately unless you can trust them you really don't know what you are getting, however when you are purchasing just ask the guy what does the car call for, don let him upsell you, if the manufacurer recemends ceramic pads use them you are either going to have organic,semi metallic,or ceramic but I suggest not to put ceramics on a car that calls for semi metallics or vise versa sometimes it doesn't matter and sometimes it will cause a problem, it is just better to avoid the whole problem and do it right the first time
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

May 18, 2007, 05:53 AM
    You may have glazed the pads from hard braking (even slightly overheating the pads ). If the rotors weren't resurfaced properly when the pads were replaced, you may never get rid of the noise. Sometimes slight overnight corrosion can cause squealing, but that usually goes away fairly soon with some brake application. Good luck!
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2007, 03:50 PM
    I find that the factory does a lot of R&D to have the quietist smoothest braking. Then, when they wear out, the owner takes them to be replaced at budget brake service and they throw out those brake pad shims and hardware you had on your brakes all this time.
    That's 30 dollars worth of parts they just toss out?? Now, all you have installed is a junk set of pads and nothing to keep them quiet. Call me expensive, call me what you want. But I'll guarantee smooth and quiet brake jobs!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric Brakes [ 1 Answers ]

How do I wire in a Tekonsha Electric Brake controller into a 1992 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab? Thanks for your replies!

Car brakes [ 1 Answers ]

I got a 2000 buick century custom when I got it it had really good breaks but now they are not hard as they used to be what should I do?

Brakes [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1999 dodge intrepid es 78,000 miles abs brakes with traction control I 'am have problems with front brakes draging real bad and brake pedal getting real hard only in stop and go traffic

Problem with brakes [ 2 Answers ]

My brake pedal started acting strange today. Before, when I would press it, the car would brake normally, and the pedal would stand where it is. Today when I press the pedal, it starts braking normally, but then gradually starts braking less... if I keep pressing in the pedal it would brake the...

Brakes [ 1 Answers ]

91 honda accord exr the problem i am having is with my brakes. Sometimes the brakes drag but i have check the sliders and they are okay. Also sometimes when u turn or even going straight u hear a funny noise. Like 2 pieces of metal touching for a second. Any idea?

View more questions Search