Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    murley Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2005, 07:45 AM
    Hey guys. I'm finishing my basement and have been hanging around the plumbing forum.
    ... for the last week. Now I'm wondering what everyone thinks about wiring. I have 3 open slots left in my breaker box (actually on the board). See this CAD diagram HERE. Each future room already has a ONE overhead light and there are a few scattered outlets in the basement.

1) Do you guys think that one recessed overhead light per 130 square feet is enough?
    2) Should I tear out the circuit that currently scatters the few outlets that are currently in the basement?
    3) Will the 3 slots that I have left in my box suffice for the bathroom stuff that's not currently present pluse additional outlets for the rest of the basement?
    4) I was going to take one circuit and just run it around the perimmiter of the basement and drop 2 or 3 outlets in each room from that one run. Is this a smart idea?

Thanks for you help guys!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2005, 08:06 AM
    1 One light for 130 sq. ft? Depending what you are doing, it should be OK. If you are going to try to read a newspaper, you may need a lamp right at the chair.

2 It almost sounds like a good start on one circuit with a few outlets in each room. You can run such a ciruit, but don't count on having a 42'' TV in each room all on the same circuit.

3 What all are you going to have down there, a computer, fridge, workshop, big TV, etc. Many of them need their own circuit. Perhaps look at the half slot breakers. They are a good alternative if you just need a few more circuits. Note, the bathroom for sure, and maybe all the basement circuits need to be GFI. One GFI outlet isn't that much, and with the feed through feature, it is cheap to do a whole circuit.

4 Maybe break it up into 2-3 circuits.

Apr 28, 2005, 08:35 AM
    Basement rookie...
    ... Well, the one room will obviously be a general bedroom with the closet and all. I don't need that as a bedroom until I have another child, though. Will probably have the computer desk in there. The other room (with the bathroom off it) will probably be a rec room. Might have an entertainment center at the far end (a 23-25" tv/stereo/dvd sort of stuff). Are the double breaker things you talked about called one pole?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2005, 08:55 AM
    Different breaker boxes take different breakers. Some are just regular breakers that are half as thick as the normal ones. My box required what was 2 single pole breakers built into the same case. Do not confuse with double pole breakers for 240.

You may have to remove a breaker and take it with you to get the right thing. Like everything else, we have 10 times as different kinds as we need.
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Apr 28, 2005, 10:08 AM
    If your computer work...
    Quote Originally Posted by murley
    ... Well, the one room will obviously be a general bedroom with the closet and all. I don't need that as a bedroom until I have another child, though. will probably have the computer desk in there. The other room (with the bathroom off of it) will probably be a rec room. Might have an entertainment center at the far end (a 23-25" tv/stereo/dvd sort of stuff). are the double breaker things you talked about called one pole?
    ... is important, might want to make certain it is not powered from a GFI or off a GFI outlet. Safety is #1 and if it has to be powered from a breaker that may safe or nuisance trip, consider a UPS before you lose important data or ruin a hard drive.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2005, 03:24 PM
    Just some additional information to share so you will be in conformance with code:

Each bathroom shall have at least one receptacle near the sink, this outlet shall be GFI protected, and shall be fed with it's own 20 amp circuit using #12 wire.

If the room does become a bedroom,it shall require a hardwired smoke detector.
    All devices and wiring,(except a smoke detector in some states),serving a bedroom shall be protected with an Arc Fault circuit breaker.

Once this room that is not intended to be a bedroom now becomes a bedroom, the room shall need the items mentioned above. The wiring for the future bedroom will be to be segregated from the other wiring so the Arc Fault breaker can only protect the bedroom. Will not be any harm to AF protect the other wiring, thou.

An additional smoke detector shall be required in the common area of the basement, and connected to the other in the bedroom and all others in the house. The proposed future bedroom will also need a second egress (method of exiting in case of fire).

Any light fixture in any closet must not be a bare incandescent lamp, and can be an enclosed lamp with a globe, or a bare fluorescent lamp. Receptacles must be no further apart than 12 feet, starting by measuring six feet from an opening such as a door and dropped a maximum of 12 feet thereafter.

In most states, if the wiring is installed without a license and/or a permit on record, and there is a fire caused by faulty wiring resulting in the loss of life, injury, or loss of property, the insurance company will not cover any losses, and the installer may be subjected to criminal charges.

Were you aware of the items I have mentioned? Are you trying to save some money? What else can I say to try to convince you to hire a qualified installer with the proper permits? Firemen really hate pulling out small bodies from the ruins.

I am sure this is not the advice you expected or desired, but please consider all I have provided.

Apr 30, 2005, 11:11 AM
    Wellll...
    As for the GFI in the bath, I was aware of that. Didn't know it needed a circuit all in it's own.
    As for the "bedroom", it will never be "coded" as a bedroom. It will be a "potential bedroom". I didn't want to put in an egress and all of that. Plus, I'm limited to a 2 month window to complete my job. All of that on top of my 60hour/week job. :o)
    As for smoke dectectors, I will be installing a few batt operated ones when I get it finished.
    I wasn't planning on installing a light in the closet. The room has 2 windows and the main light fixture and that should provide enough light see that the doors won't slide, they will be accordion style.
    Thanks for all of your help. I truly appreciate your help and wisdom. I am pretty limited for finances. I do have a few friends that are electrical engineer's and a few plummer friends also and I'm querying them also.

So, with the 2 months that I have and the $4000 I can do it for, I'm going to do my best!

:o)
    eg007 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2005, 10:10 PM
    As for smoke dectectors, I will be installing a few batt operated ones when I get it finished.

Battery operated ones are better than nothing but you really should install the hardwired ones. They have that great obnoxious sound when they're all sounding at the same time. :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement finishing [ 17 Answers ]

I am in the early stages of laying-out my basement plans. There is a rough-in for toilet and shower, but not where I want the bathroom to be. I would like to move the rough-in pipes about 10-12 feet from where they are now for my ideal basement plan. I've done a lot of DIY home pprojects, but...

Finishing Basement with 1/2 bath [ 3 Answers ]

HI MIKE, I APOLOGIZE FOR THE DELAY BUT I NEEDED TIME TO STUDY AND RESEARCH YOUR PREPOSAL. I'M GOING TO USE A LITTLE DIFFERENT FORMAT IN ANSWERING. I'LL EDIT YOUR POST AND ANSWER IN CAPS. I was getting ready to finish my basement and plan to install a 1/2 bath myself (toilet and lavatory). My...

Finishing basement bathroom [ 17 Answers ]

When we built our house three years ago, we had the basement roughed in for a bathroom. I had talked to the plumber at that time about what would need to be done in the future, but alas have forgotten completely... :) Attached is a picture of the rough in prior to pouring the basement floor. ...

Finishing Bath in Basement [ 4 Answers ]

Hi - My builder roughed in a bath in the basement of our recently constructed home (2 yrs. Old). I've almost finished the basement, and need to complete the bath. I'm no plumber, but I'm pretty handy and have glued my share of PVC in the past. I'm hoping you can help me through the process! ...

Basement finishing and insulation [ 3 Answers ]

What is better for framing out a basement, wood or steel 2x4's. Also when insulating what vapor barrier is better none, kraft paper, foil or batts wrapped in plastic or a sheet of plastic before the wallboard is put up?

View more questions Search