Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lambp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2007, 11:31 AM
    Rotten Egg odor coming from house vents
    Hi,

We are getting a rotten egg smell coming from our house vents. Does not occur all of the time. We have a heat pump and does not occur during the colder months. Mainly occurs when it is hot and the AC is running.

Had the heat pump coils cleaned.

Any other suggestions other than getting the vents cleaned?

Any ideas what would be causing it (but not every time the AC is running)?

Thanks.

Paul
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 17, 2007, 06:21 PM
    Sounds like the house might be under negative pressure and it is allowing the odor from a bad plumbing vent to be sucked into the system.
    JackT Posts: 260, Reputation: 19

May 17, 2007, 07:39 PM
    Is your condensate drain piped into the house plumbing system or does it go directly outside? Is there a condensate trap? Where is your air handler unit, in your attic or basement. Are the covers and filter doors closed and are all the screws back in the holes. Are there any gaps in your return air ducts that can be sucking in air?
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2007, 08:09 PM
    Slab foundation? Is ground water seeping up into the ductwork or plenum in the springtime rains?
    lv2compute Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2007, 10:24 AM
    If your house is under negative pressure and is sucking in air from a plumbing vent, how would you go about resolving this?
    JackT Posts: 260, Reputation: 19

Jun 2, 2007, 06:04 AM
    I don't believe most homes are under a negative pressure. Unless you are running an exhaust fan that's discharging a lot of cfm, it takes a real well sealed home to create a negative pressure. Usually there are vents in your attic that allow air movement in the attic and air can usually get in your home through door cracks, vents, windows etc. There are units you can purchase ( Energy Recovery Units ) that will allow you to bring in fresh air that it will transfer the moisture /heat back outside. You can always crack a window (open it some) to prevent the negative pressure. Your plumbing system should have traps that will prevent any sewer gases from getting into your home. Sometimes they will dry out and you may have to run some water in any unused drains to keep the water level up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rotten egg smell [ 3 Answers ]

I have well water with a rotten egg smell, from what I am told it could be the anode rod in the hot water heater. I don't have a hot water heater, we have a hot water boiler that is used to heat the house and the potable water, also is the water dangerous due to the smell.

Rotten Egg Smell [ 1 Answers ]

I lived in a brand new home, on city water for one year and everything was fine. We moved out and the house is now empty and up for sale. It has been empty for five months. Sometime during these five months a rotten egg smell has developed when the water is turned on. At first we thought it was...

Foul odor coming from heat vents [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a house and when we put on the heat for the first time in September, there is a foul odor coming from all of the heat vents in the house. I can't really pinpoint what the odor is, but it seems to be a sewer/rotten egg smell and you can smell it in every room of the house, but it does...

Odor of rotten eggs coming from washer [ 7 Answers ]

I have a fairly new front loader washing machine. I have noticed the past month or so when I start laundry the laundry room and adjoining rooms get a strong odor similar to rotten eggs. The next load of wash I do, will have no problem. It ony does this on the first load of wash after not using the...

Musky odor coming from heat vents [ 1 Answers ]

We installed a humidifier to our furnace in February. Could it be causing the musky odor that we periodically get from the vents? What is funny about it is that the smell is not there 24/7 and when it is present it comes more from one or two vents only. If that makes any sense.

View more questions Search