Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joe campbell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2007, 01:44 AM
    Ford explorer brake lights
    What would be the problem if the hatch brake light works but the other 2 do not on a 2001 ford explorer . Its not the fuse or the bulbs and if the top light works I didn't think it woul;d be the switch. Help it's my wife's truck
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 17, 2007, 06:18 AM
    You have an "open" somewhere in the brake light circuit. First, check the brake light switch, which is located just above the brake pedal. Remove connector and clean contacts with 240-grit abrasive cloth. Clean and spray brake light switch with WD-40. Using a multimeter, check brake light switch continuity--replace if needed. Second, use a test light to check for power in each brake light socket, as your wife depresses the pedal. There may be corrosion in the sockets, due to moisture. Clean and spray sockets with WD-40.
    itsjb5 Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2007, 08:13 PM
    No it can be the turn signal switch... the third brake light does not go through the turn signal switch... it never flashes... therfore that is why the third light works and the others don't...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brake lights on ford explorer [ 5 Answers ]

My brake lights on my Explorer are out. The problem is not the bulbs. What should I be looking for that would cause this problem? Appreciate any help. Mickey

Explorer Brake Lights stuck on [ 2 Answers ]

My explorer brake lights are stuck on. Is this something typical with an explorer? I have already unpluged the wire to the brake switch. Is the switch some I can get at the local automotive store?

2002 Ford Explorer Brake Lights Remain On After I Park And have left the Car. [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I am wanting to know why my rear lights remain on after I have parked and removed my key form the ignition. I don't even use the rear lights during daytime. Leads me to believe the lights must be brake lights. Can anybody tell me why these lights remain on? After I removed the Brake...

Brake lights [ 6 Answers ]

When pushing the brake pedal on my 1997 ford explorer the brake lights do not come on. The bulbs are good and burn when lights are turned on.

Ford Explorer Brake Lights [ 4 Answers ]

My 2003 explorer brake lights will not turn off when I turn off my car. Can you help?

View more questions Search