Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dane7781 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2007, 06:52 PM
    Invoicing for past work
    What is the maximum time that you can invoice an individual after performing work for them?

Dane from PA
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 16, 2007, 07:14 PM
    Hello Dane:

There is no law on the subject.

excon
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 16, 2007, 07:20 PM
    I don't know that there is a law concerning such a thing if it is for work performed on one or more occasions within a short period, say under a month's time in length. But, there may be a law somewhere concerning this.

Below is something that might be of use to you if you are having trouble collecting money that is owed to you. I don't know how much money is due to you, but maybe it is small enough that you can go through small claims court in order to get it. I would give people a chance to pay if they are having difficulty in paying. If you had some sort of contract with an individual or group, then payment schedules should be outlined in the contract. Since most bills for things run on a monthly cycle, then I would say that after 31 days and not receiving payment, or attempts at making payment, then you can follow through with action through a court if the person or group will not work with you in order to work something out, and there has been no contract.

I am entirely self-employed. Perform various services for people. Had a situation recently where I was doing handyman work successfully for a woman who owns a number of apartment houses. I was billing her in a timely manner and then she was paying me in a timely manner. This was over a period of about five months.

For reasons unknown, she did not pay me for my last bill after I had submitted it to her. I would like to note hear, that she had told me that she has had quite a few handymen working for her in the past. I told her on the phone that I was going to speak with my lawyer, which I have since done, and that I would be suing her for the money if she did not pay me. Over a month has passed since speaking with her, and I still have not received the money that is owed to me.

I guess that if I could, it would have been good if I had known about why she has had so many handymen. Maybe she wasn't paying them either. It pays to have a contract with people that you don't know. I did not really know her.

My next step is that I am going to write her a letter specifying that payment needs to be made within ten working days or that I will be taking her to small claims court. Also, that she will need to pay the court costs for the action. I will send this letter by certified mail and also have it notarized.

Then I will see if I receive the money. If not, then it's off to small claims court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to let go of the past [ 1 Answers ]

I have been married for 8 years and I have beautiful children with this man, but my past keeps haunting me. I was in a relationship 10 years ago and he was very abusive mentally, as well as being physically abusive. He didn't start that way though. He was never abusive at all until his grandpa died...

TAX Deductions for FOREIGN company invoicing services in the US [ 1 Answers ]

I would appreciate a bit of advice in the following situation: There is a foreign company that will perform consulting services for a U.S. company, when this foreing company invoices its services, will it suffer a TAX deduction from the paying client (US Company)? Thanks for the help.

How do you get past betrayal [ 5 Answers ]

I have been married for 16yrs, we had separated for a while during our separation he slept with someone I don't like, after 3yrs of being back together I found out they have been communicating everyday. How do I get past this pain, I want out of the marriage but I don't know how to leave.:(

Feelings from the past [ 14 Answers ]

Hello Everyone. I was starting in a relationship with someone. I was giving the situation 100% all along, and I honestly, even to this day feel she was doing the same. But obviously things have changed. Apparently about three weeks back, she gets a email from a old friend. Her former soul...

Issue from my past [ 4 Answers ]

I am very happily married, so this has nothing to do with a desire for another man, just so I am understood. But, I had a love years ago, we almost married. He was hiding an onset of schitzophrenia, we tried to work through it, but it was too much for him. He left one day. My husband feels he...

View more questions Search