Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

May 16, 2007, 01:54 PM
    The "HALTI" does it really work?
    I have just introduced my mini dash. To the "halti" which I am really starting to enjoy, him not so much. I have a new dog when he's on the leash, he doesn't pull at all and stay close to me.
    But does this really teach him how to heal and stay close for the long run?
    Once I remove it he's all over the place.
    If I keep it on him and be persistent will he really learn from this?
    Or will he keep going back to his old ways as soon as I take it off?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 16, 2007, 02:33 PM
    Results vary. It only took me about a week straighten out an intact 15 month old, male, chocolate Lab I was once given. He hadn't had any previous training at all. When I went to see him, the lady came out in full water ski position pulling back with all of her 108 pounds. I worked him in a Gentle Leader brand head collar for a week before switching to a metal slip collar. After 2 weeks, I had the staff at the dog guide school marveling at the nicest chocolate Lab they had ever seen. My old joints would never have taken what I may have had to do with a slip collar. Besides, I am trying to move on from older, harsh methods.

On the other hand, I put my Holly in one at 11 weeks. At 9 months, she still isn't doing as well as she needs to. I am trying a Martingale type on her now. She knows when I have my hands full and am in a hurry. It has been bad the last 2 nights at youth baseball. I am the score keeper for the one age group. I need to get to my box with my score book, chair, pencils, towel, coat, and leash in my hands before the game starts. My problem is that I get myself in a hole too often. If I made it to the field before the pitcher was warming up, I would have more time to give Holly the discipline she needs.

If your dog responds well to it, but fails to learn from it, just continue to use it.
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

May 17, 2007, 10:17 AM
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2007, 10:25 AM
    What's the difference between the halti and the gentle leader? They look about the same. I was going to buy one. I just posted a question about it earlier today.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

A/C or Heat does not work w/thermostat set "on" or "auto". [ 22 Answers ]

A/C or Heat doesn't work in "on" or "auto". Fan will not come on at the "on" position either. I changed the batteries in the thermostat. I also read somewhere to disconnect the "Y" and hold it to the "R" on the thermostat for two minutes. That will tell me if the thermostat is the problem. ...

Convert a lamp to work on a "hot" switch via pull chain [ 1 Answers ]

My builder wired a light in an arch way with a "hot" outlet. We put our pool table underneath the archway and now need to add a pool table lamp fixture. All the ones I can find require a light switch. Because the archway if solid wood there was no way to wire it to a switch so the builder told...

Another "My Internet Won't Work" Thread [ 2 Answers ]

Okay. Here's the scoop: - Internet won't work on my laptop (WinXP) - It's connected through a router and the other computers connected to the router work perfectly fine... hence the net's working... but the laptop isn't - I did a system restore, spyware search and destroy - My internet...

View more questions Search