Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    searchist Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2007, 08:34 AM
    My MTD tractor just won't start
    46" lawn tractor. I had to change the PTO belt. After I changed it, I realized I did not tighten one of the belt brackets to keep the belt in place. I stopped the tractor and fixed that. Now it won't start. When I turn the key, absolutely nothing happens.

I checked the battery, which is full. The interlocks seem to be working (that is, the seat interlock is working, and I hold the PTO handle all the way back when turning the key). I have a manual for the tractor, but it does not include any electrical diagrams at all.

Any ideas on what's wrong? Thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 16, 2007, 11:06 AM
    "interlocks seem to be working " how can you tell that since the engine won't even turn over? You also have a clutch/brake safety switch as well as one for the blade. What happens sometimes is that something so simple is over looked that you keep missing it. Make sure the blade is disengaged and the clutch is fully deoressed. Your battery should read about 12.4 vdc with no load. If all switches are properly engaged and it still won't turn just come back and we can help you test the switches and solenoid. Chances are slim that these have failed while you tightened the belt guard.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Change drive belt on mtd tractor "husky tractor" [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: Any one know an easy way to change belt? And how to loosen pully bolt in bottom of motor?

Mtd lawn tractor it start but want turn over ithink my issue is with the carburetor [ 2 Answers ]

What are the steps to rebuilding my 12.5 hp briggs n stratton carburetor please take in account I am a do it your selfer. Thanks for your help

Mtd lawn tractor [ 3 Answers ]

I have an MTD lawn tractor seems to act like it is sliping if forward gear I have repaced the belt. Does not do this in reverse. Could it be the transmission is that rebuildable?

MTD lawn tractor will not start [ 4 Answers ]

I had just finished mowing my lawn. The tractor sat in the lawn for about an hour. When I returned, it would not turn over. It makes a small click noise then nothing. I charged the batter over night, same result in the morning. It has a Briggs 14.5 HP engine. Where do I start? Thanks.

Mtd tractor [ 2 Answers ]

After running for a while, when I stop it doesn't want to start back up?

View more questions Search