Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2007, 06:18 PM
    Introducing a dog into a cat household
    Hello!

I have two 9-year-old cats that have been with me all of their lives. I am in the process of adopting a dog, and am looking for advice about how to treat the cats. I'm prepared for how to protect the cats from the dog, but I'm concerned that my top cat is going to get her nose out of joint with the new addition. The other cat I'm not so concerned about. So, any advice on how to let her know that she's not being replaced, etc. I know how to do a cat/cat introduction, but haven't tried a dog/cat one before. The real issue is that I am going to be trying to get to know the dog and her personality and make the transition as easy on her as possible, and yet don't want the cats to get jealous.

Or should I just not overthink this and see what happens?
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

May 16, 2007, 12:52 PM
    If neither are highly aggressive, I would just introduce them in the same slow manner you did with your cats. Make sure all your pets get the attention they need, and expect there to be a few fights and a long period of adjustment while they work the hierarchy.

If you think the cat or the dog are aggressive enough to really hurt each other, but want to try it anyway, you'll need to provide a "safe haven" for each and supervise them at least for the first week or so.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2007, 07:06 PM
    Well, I'm told that the dog is a real sweetheart, and totally OK with cats. It was the first requirement I had for the rescue group. The top cat I have has never had to actually deal with a dog up close, so I don't know how she's going to take it. Right now, the best I can say is that she treats dogs that she sees outside much the same as birds or squirrels... something fascinating to watch! The problem is that she is a very devoted cat... I spend a lot of my time with her curled up on my chest. And the spats that she and the other cat have tend to be when my other cat is crowding her on my lap. On the other hand, I'm told that the dog doesn't get on the furniture, so it may all work out well. Dog on the rug, Rana on my chest, Pyret curled up on the back of the sofa, pet each in alternation. So I'm crossing my fingers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat Attacked Dog [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, My 11 month old cat, just gave birth to 4 kittens almost 3 three weeks ago. Just the other day she attacked my 11 year old dog(terri-poo - small breed). We thought maybe something startled her but then yesterday she did the same thing. Just came out of no where and attacked a sleeping dog....

Adopted 3 yr old dog frightening my cat! [ 5 Answers ]

I have just adopted a 3 yr old yellow lab from the humane society. He's a beautiful dog, but he is constantly chasing my cat from one end of the house to the other and driving us all crazy. The cat has not eaten since he's been in the house. Any suggestions as to how I get these (2) to get along?

Dog marks because of new cat [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a beagle mix and everything in his little world was fine, until my roommate decided to adopt a cat from the humane society. Now my dog is defecating in my roommate's bedroom on the floor or urinating on his bedroom door. The cat sleeps in his room with him. How do I get my dog to...

Cat and dog help! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, my family have a 6 month old beagle puppy and 3 cats. Well, my dog goes after the oldest cat, scruffy. She will hit him in the mouth(by the way she has nof ront claws) and he likes it. He will chase her but will not bite her. He will also go after the other cat cuddles who we just got. She...

Dog eatting cat droppinig [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my brother has a Sheltie which is two years old. My brother brings his dog to our house quite a bit. He lives just two houses down and doesn't like taking care of the dog so he brings him here for us to watch. The dog is sweet. We have three cats and another dog. The Sheltie will get into the...

View more questions Search