Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MGamble Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 05:29 PM
    Double sink trouble
    Hello all,
    I recently changed our bathroom sink from a single bowl to a double and I am starting to have troubles. When I run the water on one side the other sink fills up, when I turn off the water it does drain though. I talked to "a guy" at Lowe's originally when I installed it and he said that I wouldn't need a trap. My question is: DO I need to put a trap in and if so do I need to put one on each side? I tried Drano to no effect and took apart the pipes and couldn't find a clog. The sinks drain into one line at the wall. Im thinking that I need a trap(s) but just not sure. If traps are necessary do they need to hang lower than the outlet pipe? Thanks for any help you can provide, I did do a brief search on this forum for this question but couldn't find anything.

Thanks again

Matt
    malex27 Posts: 45, Reputation: 4

May 14, 2007, 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MGamble
    Hello all,
    I recently changed our bathroom sink from a single bowl to a double and I am starting to have troubles. When I run the water on one side the other sink fills up, when I turn off the water it does drain though. I talked to "a guy" at Lowes originally when I installed it and he said that I wouldnt need a trap. My question is: DO I need to put a trap in and if so do I need to put one on each side? I tried Drano to no effect and took apart the pipes and couldnt find a clog. The sinks drain into one line at the wall. Im thinking that I need a trap(s) but just not sure. If traps are necessary do they need to hang lower than the outlet pipe? Thanks for any help you can provide, I did do a brief search on this forum for this question but couldn't find anything.

Thanks again

Matt
    Matt you absolutely need a trap under your sink. I personally prefer and would recommend to trap both sinks directly under each sink drain. Some people will trap first thing out of the wall and then use a T piece that then connects to both sinks. You have less of a chance of getting a smell back in your line if you trap under both sinks directly.

If you have a piece of pipe coming out of the wall that you can convert to PVC and easily get on to, I would recommend using a PVC twin drainage L which would allow you to go both directions with PVC pipe and trap on both sides. Good luck.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2007, 08:58 PM
    [QUOTE=MGamble]Hello all,
    I recently changed our bathroom sink from a single bowl to a double and I am starting to have troubles. When I run the water on one side the other sink fills up, when I turn off the water it does drain though.

Pictures of the current set-up would be really helpful at this point.

I'm not exactly sure what a "PVC twin drainage L" is, but it doesn't sound like anything a reputable Plumber would install.

The picture below is the correct configuration for draining two lavatories.
    Attached Images

May 15, 2007, 02:29 PM
    Obviously, if you are in the pre dry wall stage your set up is optimal. A 2" cross with two horizontal branch drains terminating under each sink is best. In the situation where you have finished drywall and cabinets in place and only one drain outlet, your solution simply wouldn't be feasible without much unnecessary work by the homeowner.

As for the PVC Twin L, I'll include a picture from Charlotte's website. It's as legal as a single 90 would be on a lavatory drain. A Wye or double combination would also be acceptable, but the combination would add another leak potential because of the cleanout adapter out of the back that would have to be installed.

This reputable plumber finds no problem with this solution to the individuals situation, unless the plumbing code has suddenly restricted the use of elbows.

Ultra Member

May 15, 2007, 05:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by malex27
    Obviously, if you are in the pre dry wall stage your set up is optimal. A 2" cross with two horizontal branch drains terminating under each sink is best. In the situation where you have finished drywall and cabinets in place and only one drain outlet, your solution simply wouldn't be feasible without much unnecessary work by the homeowner.
    Being a stickler for 'by the book' Plumbing, I have to ask myself why he didn't pull the cabinet base and have it roughed in correctly when he was replacing or modifying the original countertop -- The photo below is just such a scenario, the homeowners wanted to add lavatory, so I walked them through the procedure for doing so and since the drywall was cut well below the countertop height, it was a simple matter of installing a piece of drywall and then taping and mudding the joint.

As for the PVC Twin L, I'll include a picture from Charlotte's website. It's as legal as a single 90 would be on a lavatory drain. A Wye or double combination would also be acceptable, but the combination would add another leak potential because of the cleanout adapter out of the back that would have to be installed.
    I figured that was the fitting you described -- Under the UPC, it is listed as one of a number of 'Prohibited Fittings'.

Particularly if used as a horizontal/horizontal transition.

But hey, the UPC is the governing code in only about 10% of the country.

This reputable plumber finds no problem with this solution to the individuals situation, unless the plumbing code has suddenly restricted the use of elbows.
    Yeah, I cringed a bit when I reread that this morning -- Sorry about that.

Well, don't take it too personally, Speedball and Doug and I have diasagreed a few times ourselves over issues directly related to the different expectations of our differing codes.
    Attached Images

MGamble Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2007, 10:42 AM
    Thanks for all the help. I wish I was a plumber so I would know what to do. In my situation though I'm not exactly going to be able to follow the pictures posted above. I only have one wall outlet for the water to flow out. So I plan on putting a trap under each sink and then have that flow out. If that's not going to work, I guess I'll have some sheetrock questions for you all later then ;)
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2007, 06:48 AM
    You could try installing a continuous waste, as Speedball suggested in a similar discussion, minus the branch for the dishwasher, of course.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 17, 2007, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MGamble
    Hello all,
    I recently changed our bathroom sink from a single bowl to a double and I am starting to have troubles. When I run the water on one side the other sink fills up, when I turn off the water it does drain though. I talked to "a guy" at Lowes originally when I installed it and he said that I wouldnt need a trap. My question is: DO I need to put a trap in and if so do I need to put one on each side? I tried Drano to no effect and took apart the pipes and couldnt find a clog. The sinks drain into one line at the wall. Im thinking that I need a trap(s) but just not sure. If traps are necessary do they need to hang lower than the outlet pipe? Thanks for any help you can provide, I did do a brief search on this forum for this question but couldn't find anything.

Thanks again

Matt

Matt,

This boils down to a simple choice. Come out of the wall with a wye, ( sorry Malex but your double ell won't fly) and install a single trap for each lavatory or you and install a trap on the nearest lav and use a continuous waste,(see image) to tie lav #2 back to the trap. As Growler has pointed out a regular tail piece's used instead of the branch tailpiece shown. This method has benn used on both kitchen sinks and twin lavatories with no back up problems.
    Good luck, Tom

May 17, 2007, 02:28 PM
    Speedball that's your opinion and your welcome to it friend. Saying it "simply won't fly" is nothing more than an opinion that isn't based on the IPC in any fashion. A wye will work but it will also take up 3 or 4 more inches of front to back cabinet space.

Nothing more than a difference of opinion and technique.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing double sink [ 2 Answers ]

We recently had new corian countertops (including corian sink) put in. My husband Connected the plumbing. Now, when I wash dishes in one side the suds back up into The other side. What is wrong? It drives me crazy.

Double Sink and Width of Sink Base [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I just bought my first condo, and immediately changed the appliances (my fridge is now larger than the previous one at 30 inches wide (normal I know). I am not replacing the cabinets. I have limited space on one wall, so I need to DOWNGRADE from a 36 inch SINK BASE to a 33 inch SINK BASE. My...

Replacing Sink Base, need a double sink? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I just bought my first condo, and immediately changed the appliances (my fridge is now larger than the previous one at 30 inches wide (normal I know). I am not replacing the cabinets. I have limited space on one wall, so I need to DOWNGRADE from a 36 inch SINK BASE to a 33 inch SINK BASE....

Trouble Double Time [ 4 Answers ]

Hey you.ole smoke here, I got a 2 pt ? For you, well for starters my damn systemrestore wonmt work at all, and when I try to reformat I get as far as them asking me what I want to do in those 3 things, so I say start refromatting xp and it say to cick enter and I and it won't get pasted that...

New double sink [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new double bowl sink and have a problem. When there is water in both bowls, it drains very slowly. Water in just one bowl OK. One thing I did not do was add a tail piece to the trap before attaching the 'double' drain pipe. Could it be that there is not enough length from...

View more questions Search