Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rwalker732 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2007, 11:35 AM
    Small Concrete Retaining Wall
    I have a cement walk that is 2' above my driveway. The builder put a small concrete block retaining wall to cover the transition between the heights.

One of the concrete blocks (I have a total of 4, very small wall) has been damaged, and the soil from underneath the walk is coning out.

If I replace the wall with new concrete blocks, do I need to do anything to prepare the back of the wall? Do concrete blocks need to be sealed or something, or are they safe to have direct contact with soil?

The contractor did not fill the voids in the concrete blocks with cement. Is is s smart idea to fill the blocks with cement to stiffen them?

Thanks for your help. I am new to any masonry work.

Rob Walker
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

May 19, 2007, 09:37 AM
    There Is No Need To Seal The Back Of The Wall, However I Would Dig Out From The Back Side Of The Wall So You Don't Have Soil Pushing Against Your New Block, As Far As Pouring The Block Full Of Concrete, You Can Most Don't Because Of Money Reasons. If It Was A Foundation Then It Would Be Code To Do So, But This Application Is More For Looks.
    If The Block Wall Was Poured Solid To Begin With You Probably Wouldn't Of Had Any Problems To Begin With. As Far As The Wall Leaning Or Cracks
    Hope This Helps , Nichols Trim And Carpentry
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

May 21, 2007, 07:18 PM
    Retaining walls can be pretty tricky things and no matter how small they may seem, if they're not built right, you can bet that they will fail eventually. I can't imagine building a retaining wall (other than a landscaped cantilever wall in the garden) without a footing beneath it and solid "grout" in the block cells. Concrete blocks don't usually require any special treatment to seal them but they will erode if they are exposed to moving water on a regular basis (even the rockiest mountains are no match for water). I would consider rebuilding the whole wall to make it stable and help to aviod future trouble with the blocks that aren't currently an issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retaining wall [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all I have a 1.9 metre drop in elevation from my grade line on my home to the back alley and was wondering what the specs of lumber has to be tobuild a retaining wall, sections will still be 8 feet. What size posts and what thickness of planks do I have to use, and finally how far up towards...

Pressure treated retaining wall [ 2 Answers ]

I'm considering a tapered retaining wall - L shaped. The 90 degree would be the highest point of approx 30" inches. The long side is about 50 feet long and the short end about 10 feet long. I plan to fill in the area and make it level for a slab that will wrap around an in-ground pool. I plan...

Concrete retaining walls [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone have instructions of how to replace rotted railroad ties with poured concrete or retaining blocks. TIA

Retaining wall replacement altenatives [ 0 Answers ]

The buyer of my home has asked we replace a large reataining wall. It is rotted and does need replacement. Our home sits below street grade, and we installed a beautiful entry stairway with the interlocking pink walls. This ends at the porch entry of the house. The wall needing replacement...

Above ground pool retaining wall [ 2 Answers ]

Please send me information regarding retaining walls for above ground pools. I am having a difficult time with my community and my above ground pool. I am going to have to install a retaining wall around me entire pool, as well as back fill dirt Could you forward any information that you may...

View more questions Search